Help w/ Glypho41 Plus and replant time

Well I didn't plan ahead and my bare root shrubs are here. I have 400 to put in the ground ASAP (this Monday!) because of travel and work.

I had planned to spray my covey headquarters area with Glyphosate to set the brome grass back before I planted the shrubs. Now my window is short! So can I spray brome with Glyphosate 41 Plus tomorrow (Sunday), and come back 24 hours later and plant my bare root seedlings?

Or will the Glypho still be active and kill my seedlings if I do that fast turn around?

My only other option is to plant the seedlings in the brome with no chemical control and hope they out compete because I have other obligations on my time for a few weeks and I don't want my seedlings to dry out and die.

So much for my elaborate habitat plans. The company is closed for the weekend so I cant ask them. Such is life.

Last edited:
Well I didn't plan ahead and my bare root shrubs are here. I have 400 to put in the ground ASAP (this Monday!) because of travel and work.

I had planned to spray my covey headquarters area with Glyphosate to set the brome grass back before I planted the shrubs. Now my window is short! So can I spray brome with Glyphosate 41 Plus tomorrow (Sunday), and come back 24 hours later and plant my bare root seedlings?

Or will the Glypho still be active and kill my seedlings if I do that fast turn around?

My only other option is to plant the seedlings in the brome with no chemical control and hope they out compete because I have other obligations on my time for a few weeks and I don't want my seedlings to dry out and die.

So much for my elaborate habitat plans. The company is closed for the weekend so I cant ask them. Such is life.

YES, spray sunday and plant monday. once gly is sprayed there is no soil or other activity other than what it was sprayed on. we would also add a gallon of treflan on there to to keep some stuff from growing back.

I doubt temp is warm enough for it to be effective. Night time temps need to be above 50 for an effective kill. I probable would not waste my money or time. Plant the trees and shrubs and come back and spray with Post, double check your trees are tolerant to it.

Good point. I hadn't thought about that. But like at my place I have stuff greening up already so I figure if it can grow it can take in the gly and die. That's why I like the gly and treflan preplant because whatever is not coming up yet the treflan should get.

I read the label on Poast and this looks like a tool I should have in the tool box on tree belts. Looks like it is labeled for deciduous trees and plums. Nothing about conifers. http://www.keystonepestsolutions.com/labels/Poast.pdf

I assume since this is a grass herbicide most things not a grass may be tolerant.

I have been fighting some wheat grass in some plum plantings and this might be the ticket to set back the grass and release the plums. 2.5 pints per acres is the rate I see.

Found this article listing poast as acceptable for grass control in conifers. https://rngr.net/publications/proceedings/1985/darbyshire.pdf/at_download/file

Last edited:
Interesting. I'll monitor what's going on at my shrub plantings and see if I need to go back with something else. If Poast kills brome grass and leaves the shrubs that may be just the thing.

Back