Hello from southern california

jbk

I just stumbled across this forum, but its what i have been looking for. Im looking forward to hunting over my 1.5 year old Vizsla, Boudreaux, this year in southern California and Mexico. He was on a few hunts last year, but mostly him enjoying the outdoors and chasing birds. We did alot of training during the off season. I cant wait to get out and work this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome! There is at least one other Californian on here, goes by Quail Hound. Would be interesting to here what you go through to get your shootin' irons and dog back and forth across the border.

Welcome! There is at least one other Californian on here, goes by Quail Hound. Would be interesting to here what you go through to get your shootin' irons and dog back and forth across the border.

Thank you for the welcomes. Taking guns and dog is just alot of paperwork and money. I get license to hunt pheasant, quail and dove. Paperwork includes 2 guns and a specific number of shells. I am allowed to being 1 guest. I usually sell time on my spare gun to offset the cost. As far as the dog i just have to have his current vaccination records to get him back in US. I also bring a copy of his AKC paper showing ownership just incase. All in all its not bad. Just give myself time at the boarder cause with firearms you are for sure going to secondary. Its definatally worth it, the hunting there is amazing. I have a few pic if yall would like to see?

Welcome to UPH! I've been kicking around the idea of a Mexico hunt for some years now, I hear it's pretty good around Mexicali. You never have to ask if we want to see pics, we always want pics.:thumbsup:

Welcome to UPH! I've been kicking around the idea of a Mexico hunt for some years now, I hear it's pretty good around Mexicali. You never have to ask if we want to see pics, we always want pics.:thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

Its great. Well worth it. I usually pheasant hunt down there but there are a ton of quail. I plan on legging the dog out on quail some this year. There is alot of hunting ditches there, so a good ditch dog helps.

Pic 1..was a quick afternoon hunt. My vizsla Boudreaux in the kennel along with a friends GSP that was teaching Boudreaux a few thing. Boudreaux was like 7 month old.
Pic 2 ...Is Boudreaux because he has come along way in the off season and im pretty proud of him, lol
Pic 3....I wish i could take credit for but it was a few friends. Notice the quail that got in the way while pheasant hunting.

Something I hadn't considered. May have to. No dog, so maybe that would ease things a bit. Where abouts in Mexico?

I go to Mexicali. The dogs are actually no problem. I have never had to show paperwork on the dog, but the only thing they could ask for is vaccine records. The akc papers was just me be over cautious with my dog. The only time i have ever been asked anything about the dog was one boarder officer asked "whats in the dog crate?" (My crate has a completely closable cover) i just said "A dog" thats was it. Never asked to check. Not a big deal

Have you ever thought about going down to Baja? I've heard good things about the mountain and valley quail hunting in that area too.

Not really. Hunting is so good around mexicali im usually pretty happy, lol. What area of baja are you talking about?

Not really. Hunting is so good around mexicali im usually pretty happy, lol. What area of baja are you talking about?

Not exactly sure. The mountains and foothills somewhere down around Lazaro Cardenas.

Back