Hello from NorCal

WyattEarp

Hello everyone, I am from Northern California and new to Pheasant hunting (haven't hunted yet) this will be my first year. Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers :cheers:

1. Get a dog
2. Learn to hunt slow
3. Check with the state Game and Fish for local info
4. Look in the state forum for the area you want to hunt
5. Enjoy
and Welcome to the forum :D

Thanks SDJIM, I have the dog, 6 month old Black Lab out of Top Dog Retrievers here in California and fortunately have a friend who is an avid hunter although difficult to track down at times, so thank you for the advice. I will look for my state forum for more info.

And call Robert, AKA Quail Hound, every Friday!

:cheers: I'm more than happy to help if I can, unfortunately this season may be extremely tough do to our extended drought. You're probably around alot of places that can be pretty good most years but I think wild birds will be few and far between this year. Welcome to the forum and feel free to ask us questions, there is quite a bit of knowledge to be shared aroundhere.:thumbsup:

Thanks QH. Where would be some of the better wild Pheasant locations? I wouldn't mind just getting out and getting used to the terrain and getting my pup working. Appreciate the help!!

Thanks QH. Where would be some of the better wild Pheasant locations? I wouldn't mind just getting out and getting used to the terrain and getting my pup working. Appreciate the help!!

Any of the wildlife refuges from Sac north though you probably can't run your dog this time of year. Try some of the wildlife areas like the Feather river, around weirs or anywhere you can run him around the delta.

Welcome to the site Wyattearp. Are you new to bird hunting in general or have you hunted other wild game birds in the past?

:)If you can hold off on working the dog in pheasant habitat until later this summer. Those hen's are busy doing their thing right now to help insure a good hunting season come this fall:cheers:

Thanks guys.

Yes I am new to bird hunting. My father hunted but passed when I was just 12 years old and I was supposed to get to go when I turned 13, I'm 42 now. Finally decided to get off my butt and get out there with my son. I won't be doing anything with the pup until it is Pheasant season for sure and even then may hold him back til next season. I have enough to learn myself. :cheers:

A few trips to a preserve when it cools down will be good for you and the pup.:cheers:

Do not wait until next year with your pooch!!! Time goes by too fast and he only has so many seasons in him. Get out there. Welcome to UPH!!

Thanks again guys. I am considering sending him to Stonewall Retrievers for hunting training next month. Has anyone had any experience with Stonewall? I have never trained a dog to hunt and already have a lot invested in him from a great breeder. He has a very solid hunting pedigree. I don't want to risk trying to do it myself. Thoughts??

Back