Hello Doves

Beniciahd

So I got five up at Knoxville. Not the greatest, but I knocked down every one I had an opportunity to hit!
20150901_141614.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Good shooting:thumbsup:.

How old is your lab?

Nick

Newman/Gustine area east of San Jose. Still hit and miss depending on where you are. Where did you go? What area of CA?

We went up to Knoxville wildlife. North of Lake Berryessa. A lot flying around but only in singles and pairs. It was just about hoping they would see the decoy.

Sounds like you didn't see many? Do they plant anything to attract doves?

No, didn't see much. It's state unmanaged land. I thought about going to a refuge but decided against it at the last minute. I even thought about going out there where you mentioned this weekend. From my understanding the state didn't plant much. A warden tried to see where they planted for me but couldn't find out. I'm guessing they planted in the special hunt locations up here.

The doves were flying like crazy for the first hour of shooting light down here and pretty steady for the next hour after that. 5 guys, 5 limits in about 2.5 hrs.

I hunted a state class A area with a friend and it was brutal. We got there a little late (don't ask) but knew where we wanted to go. Were walking out at shoot time and it was a spectacular barrage once they started to arrive. I didn't see one person not shoot because the birds were low and they might be shooting at someone. As we were walking out a guy shot one swinging on it from about 40 yds away from us with his swing going at us. He shot it before we crossed the tube but still...it's a dove...not your last meal on earth.
Anyway, we got close enough to the safflower fields to be where doves were flying but far enough away where we wouldn't have our skin broken if we got shot. Typical public land dove season standard. My friend shot 7 doves and I shot one. #7 steel shot and IC/Mod tubes is not the setup in 20 ga. The doves avoided any tule clumps and flew down the mowed grass strips giving 30-40 yd shots. Too far for me. Some guys had robo doves out and I didn't see it made any difference. I saw one guy with at least two dozen dove decoys and a flapper who apparently shot his limit. Decoys work better than the flapper for doves in my experience.
The sound of those low base shells aimed pretty much at me was overpowering. It was painful for me and I have damaged hearing. My last opening day on a public area.
Beniciahd check to see if you need steel at Knoxville. I'm pretty sure you do on any state owned land. A warden was out on the area we hunted. If you had it, cool. If not, it's a change this year.

I hunted a state class A area with a friend and it was brutal. We got there a little late (don't ask) but knew where we wanted to go. Were walking out at shoot time and it was a spectacular barrage once they started to arrive. I didn't see one person not shoot because the birds were low and they might be shooting at someone. As we were walking out a guy shot one swinging on it from about 40 yds away from us with his swing going at us. He shot it before we crossed the tube but still...it's a dove...not your last meal on earth.
Anyway, we got close enough to the safflower fields to be where doves were flying but far enough away where we wouldn't have our skin broken if we got shot. Typical public land dove season standard. My friend shot 7 doves and I shot one. #7 steel shot and IC/Mod tubes is not the setup in 20 ga. The doves avoided any tule clumps and flew down the mowed grass strips giving 30-40 yd shots. Too far for me. Some guys had robo doves out and I didn't see it made any difference. I saw one guy with at least two dozen dove decoys and a flapper who apparently shot his limit. Decoys work better than the flapper for doves in my experience.
The sound of those low base shells aimed pretty much at me was overpowering. It was painful for me and I have damaged hearing. My last opening day on a public area.
Beniciahd check to see if you need steel at Knoxville. I'm pretty sure you do on any state owned land. A warden was out on the area we hunted. If you had it, cool. If not, it's a change this year.

Just as I was about the post I read this, lol. I've never hunted doves on a state refuge but my concern would be just as you described above. For me, I wouldn't enjoy such a crazy environment. That's why I avoid certain refuges for pheasant.

Yeah, we had steel. That was why we didn't go to a refuge. My buddy was leery about all the people. Probably a good thing. It will hopefully quiet down by Sunday when I might do a refuge.

Do you have to go through the same registration process for dove at the state refuge that you go through for pheasant and duck?

The refuge by my house doesn't look very good after the first day. I don't see any doves around the safflower fields. I think it is because the birds are never given a break and are bombarded relentlesly until gone.

Our spot. All the neighboring almond orchards were being shook which keeps birds flying and makes this field a prime loafing spot.

Last edited:
Do you have to go through the same registration process for dove at the state refuge that you go through for pheasant and duck?

Some class A areas make you register with a person the first day, and they limit the number of hunter's. Probably not enough! After that I think most places are self register in a box.

Good to know about the refuge not being good after the opener. Back to the drawing board or to Knoxville. I need to find me a farmer to allow the use of his field!

Some class A areas make you register with a person the first day, and they limit the number of hunter's. Probably not enough! After that I think most places are self register in a box.

Good to know about the refuge not being good after the opener. Back to the drawing board or to Knoxville. I need to find me a farmer to allow the use of his field!

Well I hate to say all refuges are bad after the first day, that is just what mine looks like. I think I am going to swing by tonight to see what it looks like down there for pheasant. Hopefully they left the road open to the lower field. Damn copper thieves. Because of them the refuge is no longer open off season.

Back