Heat, Pheasants, Hunting

UGUIDE

Looking at the recent USDA farm reports I see the GDD or growing degree days are up from last year and probably over 5 year average. This may not mena much to most people but I am excited about this because it means both pheasants and crops are not suffering from low temps this year. That means crops are ahead of 5-year average and if pace continues could come out of fields well ahead of schedule. Could the same be true for pheasant chicks? I think so. I think are temp patterns have been steller for both crops and birds. The chicks have plenty of cover and plenty of bugs to eat. Yeah it has been wet but this weather pattern is good for growing crops.

I believe it is the case by me, man what a perfect year. There is a big bounce back from the bad winter. Should mean a decent year for birds again. And at this point the chicks can handle most any weather that comes. We have 13 week old birds now, and they are basically adults. And they flush and fly strong. You would not tell the difference in the hens now.:thumbsup:

Yep, I agree. If the weather is wet for young birds it's good to have the warmer temps. Wet+warm= bugs and lots of them.:thumbsup:
With all the protein chicks grow fast.
As soon as the corn reaches a certain % moisture, out it comes and the ground turned black. Good for hunting but not so good for the pheasants.

holy cow Batman! it's currently 109 in Greensburg and 105 in Hays...i suspect the dry land milo is trashed and would guess that even irrigated corn/beans will come out earlier this year.

Back