Hearing Protection?

Yea it will lessen your hearing, but you can still talk. It pissed me off at first too, but after using them training several times I got to get used to it. I did not know you could hear doves. Are you talking about the wing whistles?

Yea it will lessen your hearing, but you can still talk. It pissed me off at first too, but after using them training several times I got to get used to it. I did not know you could hear doves. Are you talking about the wing whistles?

The little chirping noise they make when flying.

MD and Springer,

Thanks for the updates. I have my appt with the ENT tomorrow morning and I know they sell/fit the Westone ear plugs there. I will have to ask them. The lower price tag and some wind noise might be ok vs. the $800 price tag of the ESP plugs.

Thanks again!

I use sure fire here is a link to their site. I have used them for the last few years. They are pretty cheap I shoot quite a bit for work and have found these to be the best for me. I actually have not used them while out hunting but plan on it this season. They block out harmful sounds while allowing you to hear the sounds that are important.

http://www.surefire.com/EP3-Sonic-Defenders

A friend bought me some last year for my birthday. They took a bit to get used to, but I like them. Didn't realize they were so affordable, I'll be buying more for sure. in the field, you can talk, and hear everything just fine. it helps cut down on the gun noise which is obviously key. Maybe not as much as necessary, but they do the trick for me.

To late for me, sounds in that range gone along time ago, I sure don't let my wife or kids shoot without them though! Wish somebody would have told me back in the seventies. Maybe I wasn't listening even when I could hear!

A lot of shooters would rather wear the ear plug type than my muffs. They claim the muffs come down the face to far and get in the way their gun mount. I think this could be true, while the muffs are cheaper even with the built in hearing aids. When a shot is fired I do not hearit. I just hear the click of the muff cutting it out. But I can see where this gun mount issue could be a real concern in the field.........Bob

Two years ago I bit the bullet and got a set of custom-fitted analog ear plugs from ESP. They were about $800 for the set. For shotgun hunting they are perfect, the sound quality is great and no excessive wind noise like you get with electronic ear muffs. For trap shooting I still wear foam ear plugs as the dB noise reduction is better and I don't want to risk losing track of the ESP's, but for hunting the ESP's are excellent. It only hurts once but the wallet pain fades fast when you start using them.

That's where I am. I have put them off for years. Instead, I have bought guns and other such things that I don't really need. I'm making the ESPs a priority and will have them before next hunting season. I have a very nice Sako '06 that is going up for sale and I'm going to use the proceeds for ESPs.

Back