Heading to north Hill City

Tuckdog

Haven't been to Kansas in about 10 years but excited to hear quail numbers are coming back. Wondering if anyone has a report on the quail and pheasant numbers in the Hill City, Stockton area. Planning on going in a couple weeks. Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

You will be in a good area. If you have private to get on it will be good. Wiha and public has gotten beat to death this year.

I am in Hill city now. There are pheasants, most aren’t on public ground and the ones that are, are very educated. We have had only three successful points on roosters in two days. Hunted some private that was loaded with quail, have found quail on public as well, but not many.

That will pretty much be the norm. Tough to get a public land pheasant pointed this time of year. It's been a very pressured year for birds this season. A lot of specific information as far as locations has been getting put out on forums.

I've never seen this many hunters out this late in the year. Please be kind to the quail and stop chasing them after 3pm. You've come a long way to hunt but chasing them after 3 is not good for them. I accidentally flushed a huge covey Tuesday in that cold weather at around 430 and it made me cringe.

Thanks very much for the info. Waiting to hear from back from landowners we used to hunt with and with some luck we will have some private to work with. If nothing else there is not a bad day when you are out with the dogs hunting. Thanks again and I will post my success or other when i get back.

Used to hunt near that area. As stated above , if you find the less pressured areas , there should be birds. Should see some chickens up there too!!

Appreciate all the comments. Looking forward to to getting out of Northern WI and away from this -30 F cold weather.

Kinda looks like you you jumped from the pot to the frying pan with this weather! Be safe out there.

I just got back from that area last night and the pressure there is unreal. I've seen fewer hunters out on opening weekend in some areas than what I saw there. I hadn't made motel reservations figuring it wouldn't be an issue this late in the year. Come to find out the motel in hill city and in Stockton were full.
In 2.5 days of walking I never pulled the trigger on a rooster and really didn't even see that many except for a couple of groups that were on private land. I did get some good dog work and points on hens and quail so it wasn't a total bust. Also saw some chickens but I mistook them for hens at first and then had to look to see if they were in season. Of course never I never had one fly close enough to shoot at after that.

I just got back from that area last night and the pressure there is unreal. I've seen fewer hunters out on opening weekend in some areas than what I saw there. I hadn't made motel reservations figuring it wouldn't be an issue this late in the year. Come to find out the motel in hill city and in Stockton were full.
In 2.5 days of walking I never pulled the trigger on a rooster and really didn't even see that many except for a couple of groups that were on private land. I did get some good dog work and points on hens and quail so it wasn't a total bust. Also saw some chickens but I mistook them for hens at first and then had to look to see if they were in season. Of course never I never had one fly close enough to shoot at after that.

Before you fire a shot at the Chickens make sure you buy a PC Stamp - $2.50 and required to take one.

Before you fire a shot at the Chickens make sure you buy a PC Stamp - $2.50 and required to take one.

Thanks for the info on that. I haven't actively hunted pc in 30 years and had no idea there was a stamp required. I do think that the kdwp website could do little better job of advertising the fact there was a permit required as i had to dig around even after being told about it.
Glad I didn't have any others fly by now.

Back