headed to nw mo thurs night

I may be interested. I have to come home Saturday night or I may be demoted to the kennel by my wife. She starts to get a little edgy this time of year, the bird season starts to wear on her. I will probably leave around 5 or 5:30 and hunt all day and then come home.

I may be interested. I have to come home Saturday night or I may be demoted to the kennel by my wife. She starts to get a little edgy this time of year, the bird season starts to wear on her. I will probably leave around 5 or 5:30 and hunt all day and then come home.

come on by smizell i will be in a red 2500 diesel brand new or in my buddys truck black ford 2500 diesel brand new just one plastic dog box

Arrived at bilby about 8 i told my buddy i wanted to hunt the thickest cover closest to the food, it seems like everyone else had the same idea there were tracks of people everywhere and hunters everywhere wow!! Bilby has to be one of the best looking public spots ive ever seen but one of the most pressured as well lol. But i said to myself the birds are here somewhere they just dont leave plus there were plenty of bird tracks we make a huge circle od 2and half hours hunting and nothing but lots of quail and phez tracks oh well i tried. As we are leaving to go to my private spots i see a corn patch on kind of a slope right by the road maybe overlooked i say ya right lol my buddy drops me off and he goes on the opposite side to maybe catch anything that might try the backdoor i get halfway up the corn and a huge covey of birds get up and i kill one they fly probably one of the longest glide flys i have ever seen i seee exactly where they go and that is what you call giving you the slip man these birds are smart wow jeff please put out some release birds prior to my outing will ya:) So we leave there and go to my private i have there and get a few more coveys pone sat on private and 3 on sunday got lots of more coopertive birds holding point didnt see hardly any pheasants but it was fun got back to the house to put medicine on dogs feet and notice a thorn sticking straight up out of newts paw he hunted with that for a half a day now you want to talk tough man i would have rolled over i give ,white flag, im a loser,help, lol good luck to anyone that goes to bilby if you kill them there you are the man, but i am going to go back because i am going to kill a rooster there!!!!!!!

Nice post and stay after them. What I like doing at Bilby is find where they are roosting and get to that spot way before daylight. Put the dogs on a lease and wait until hunting time and go in fast. I quit hunting there because of the pressure there are good areas in that area that do not get near the pressure and have good bird populations. Pony Express, Bob Brown, nodaway valley, monkey mountain to name a few. Find those out of the way spots that may not look good t you have to walk a long to get inot the good area.

Zeepo

Bilby, gets pressure because it's a big area. You can not hunt using conventional tactics. I think the above advise is good. Birds need to roost there, but get out quick, and spend their days off the area, come back to roost. I have seen this in WPA's which get pressure in Nebraska. Only thing that changes this is weather, beginning of a blizzard will keep them there, or force them into the heavy cover. Quail too! Try to hunt cover which is isolated, cover nobody hunts. I have seen pheasants run for cover at least, 1/4 mile ahead of hunters, on Bilbly. You very well could be moving them, and not ever see one. Silence is golden, not beepers, no voice commands, verbal directions, crashing through the brush. I had a lot of points at Bilby, put mostly a pointing dog working back to me and pinning a bird or flushing one right to me. Not conventional but effective.

Hunted NE of St. Joe near pony express yesterday and 2 of us killed 3 roosters and 4 quail. We could have killed more quail but wanted to leave plenty for seed for next year. Saw quite a few with all the snow still on the ground. Saw more there than all the hunting I have been doing by Hays KS.

Zeepo

Back