Hayes Center/McCook Area

Ole'sDad

I just booked a trip with a few friends in the second week of the season on Private land in the Hayes Center/McCook area. I will be bringing my two dogs including a new Pudelpointer pup who will be getting his first wild bird experience. I haven’t been hunting in that area since the pandemic. I heard the bird numbers are way down because of the drought the last few years. What should I expect in terms of the hunting and bird numbers?

Where’s your pudelpointer from?? I’ve got one going into year two that I’m super exited about. Sorry, no info on your question

We skipped our trip to that area last year because of the drought. Our last trip was in '20 or'21. The birds were pretty thin and a lot of CRP was hayed or grazed. Sounds like you're doing a commercial thing. If it's wild birds, I'd be interested to know how it works out for you. For me it's a lot closer than SD, but for the amount of birds we saw last time I was there I'll make the longer drive.

Skipped last year because the year before was really bad. Friends who went said last year was horrible. However we hunted public mainly. The good news we saw very few hunters and our friends who went last year said they saw hardly any hunters at all. Total lack of birds kept hunters away.

We had quite a bit of rain across the panhandle and the SW corner but they have had a lot of flooding down there as well. 10” in a pretty good sized area that made the National news and a few 5” rains since then

Back