Has this ever happened to you?

I had a day 6 years ago in NW Iowa where I missed 6 straight roosters. it was the last day of our week long hunt and I had shot really well all week until that day. When we got to the last spot of the day I put my O/U in its case and pulled out my 870 half way through the field 3 roosters flush and I drop all 3 with 3 shots.

I had a day 6 years ago in NW Iowa where I missed 6 straight roosters. it was the last day of our week long hunt and I had shot really well all week until that day. When we got to the last spot of the day I put my O/U in its case and pulled out my 870 half way through the field 3 roosters flush and I drop all 3 with 3 shots.

Ah, the infamous triple. I've yet to reach that feat myself.

When we got to the last spot of the day I put my O/U in its case and pulled out my 870 half way through the field 3 roosters flush and I drop all 3 with 3 shots.

Wow. I guess I'm lucky enough to shoot a double on wild birds each year:) but never have I shot 3/3. Good for you Gsp. Too bad it's not on video.

Anyone can have a tough day. Especially when you haven't had a lot of practice. It takes a little longer to get on the bird, so if the first shot is missed, second shot is even harder. Could it be by the first video that he has his head up? Either way, keep at it and he'll come around. Kids have some amazing reflexes.

As you know Nate, I have missed my share of birds but never have I missed 5 straight roosters. I do know that my first shot of the year at a wild rooster flush I nearly always miss the first one. I always seem to think it is a combination of adrenaline, excitement and forgetting the basics. The basics being I almost always shoot behind the first bird of the year.

After that, I seem to settle down and remind myself how much lead you have to put on these birds. Strange but true.

I wish we would get a bit of snow before season ends. I dont think I can recall the last time there has not been a true measureable snow before New Years for bird hunting. I know there has been some further north but where I am south of DSM, there really has not been a decent snow this year.

In my opinion

I am by no means an expert nor do I claim to be but I did notice two things in the video that may help.

Your brother needs to be ready with the gun prior to the shot. By this I mean the gun in position for the shot. He brought the gun up to mid-section and then to shoulder in two separate motions. This will create head lift from the stock which always leads to over the top on the bird. Ben's gun was also very stationary at the shots.--No movement is no lead.:(

Second point is harder to do and to take for you Nate. I was a certified hunter safety instructor for years and trap team captain for about as long. Ben needs to hit the trap range. Now that he has seen wild bird flushes, Ben can appreciate and apply the lead and different angles to the trap which will be the same principles he will apply on Ralphie ringneck.

The last point is the toughest for me to share as I have grown quite fond of you Nate over the last several years. Never--and I mean never--speak/shout out as Ben is attempting to shoot birds. This distraction will divert his focus and always lead to swing through, cheek down or other needed movements to be lost. I am saying that it feels right to "cheer on" but the results are always less than desirable.

When my boys became "competitive" and sometimes won the trap meets they participated in--I soon became aware that I needed no "cheering" to assist them on what had already become automatic for them. Think about me and you Nate--what we do from point to flush to shot is automatic. Ben must become automatic as well!:)

Sorry for the length but gun management and safety have always been my passion! Really my life!:D

Two doubles this year--3 natural triples in my memories--helluva lot easier to do in the 60's and 70's.

Was telling the boys this year I have never shot a triple on pheasants. Fifteen minutes later My girl Lilly flushed 3 roosters about 20 yards out. MISSED ALL 3 !!!! At 75 my window of opportunity is slowly closing but maybe next year.

Very good post! I've learned we need to connect so that I can hone in on my shooting skills! I knew you to be good shot, but wasn't aware of your background. Interestingly enough, I'm an average trap shooter at best ... only having tried a few times ... but rarely do I miss a pheasant. Explain that? :)

Regarding Ben ... right on all fronts. We went in quiet but he shortly thereafter asked I yell out "rooster!", "shoot!", "hen!", etc. Further validation of his insecurity in the field. He's a bow man, after all. The shotgun is foreign to him.

We talked leading the bird before, during, and after too ... but I certainly could have used your expertise afield for those in moment coaching opportunities. It's mostly just a "feel" for me.

Thanks for posting.

I am by no means an expert nor do I claim to be but I did notice two things in the video that may help.

Your brother needs to be ready with the gun prior to the shot. By this I mean the gun in position for the shot. He brought the gun up to mid-section and then to shoulder in two separate motions. This will create head lift from the stock which always leads to over the top on the bird. Ben's gun was also very stationary at the shots.--No movement is no lead.:(

Second point is harder to do and to take for you Nate. I was a certified hunter safety instructor for years and trap team captain for about as long. Ben needs to hit the trap range. Now that he has seen wild bird flushes, Ben can appreciate and apply the lead and different angles to the trap which will be the same principles he will apply on Ralphie ringneck.

The last point is the toughest for me to share as I have grown quite fond of you Nate over the last several years. Never--and I mean never--speak/shout out as Ben is attempting to shoot birds. This distraction will divert his focus and always lead to swing through, cheek down or other needed movements to be lost. I am saying that it feels right to "cheer on" but the results are always less than desirable.

When my boys became "competitive" and sometimes won the trap meets they participated in--I soon became aware that I needed no "cheering" to assist them on what had already become automatic for them. Think about me and you Nate--what we do from point to flush to shot is automatic. Ben must become automatic as well!:)

Sorry for the length but gun management and safety have always been my passion! Really my life!:D

Two doubles this year--3 natural triples in my memories--helluva lot easier to do in the 60's and 70's.

Thanks Nate,

Wasn't quite sure how that post would go over but figured your goal was to have Ben enjoy the experience! I am sure he did! Big brother, Gunner and all.:)

The older gentleman I inherited the trap team from only shared to "coach" them after or in-between competitive rounds. Hardest lesson I had to learn was to be quiet during the rounds.

My adult sons have proven to me; like I am sure many fathers have learned on this forum, that the past hunts and memories retained have much more to do with who they were with and the conversations had than limits or shooting skills. Our sons share memories of relatives, friends, kidding each other and conversations much more often than shots made or birds missed.:)

IMO, the main reason pheasant hunting is so important to so many of us!

Happy New Year,

Ken

Took one of my younger brothers out for a two field hunt yesterday afternoon. We had our chances!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfhVY84hy8I&list=UUWvTzE-_wKjTztZLW8HGreA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grTJcN7EREg&list=UUWvTzE-_wKjTztZLW8HGreA

After five missed roosters off of point, he finally gave in and handed me the gun.

I love it, "Doesn't get any easier than that" comment. I've thought that to myself when out hunting after a few misses.
I went out yesterday and missed the first 2 birds my dog pointed. Pointed birds, I was miserable. Luckily I made up for it and settled down and hit the next two.
On a side note, for late December that cover is holding up really well.

Yes, he's my little brother after all. A little ribbing must occur! ;-)
I love it, "Doesn't get any easier than that" comment. I've thought that to myself when out hunting after a few misses.
I went out yesterday and missed the first 2 birds my dog pointed. Pointed birds, I was miserable. Luckily I made up for it and settled down and hit the next two.
On a side note, for late December that cover is holding up really well.

Back