Harvest question

Floyd

I was looking at the USDA weekly crop report and notice there are figures under "corn" for grain harvested and silage harvested, with the former at 19% and the latter at 93 %. What is the difference between the two? I have watched combines got through a corn field before and I'm having difficulty with this concept because to my untrained eye it seems they only make one run pass before heading to the next field.

I was looking at the USDA weekly crop report and notice there are figures under "corn" for grain harvested and silage harvested, with the former at 19% and the latter at 93 %. What is the difference between the two? I have watched combines got through a corn field before and I'm having difficulty with this concept because to my untrained eye it seems they only make one run pass before heading to the next field.

Corn is harvested for the corn only. Silage takes the whole plant and chops it up for feed at higher moisture than corn for grain can be. That is why the silge is so much further along.

Thanks for that clarification. So, to answer the question "Is the corn out?" it would seem that one would need to know the percentage of the corn that is being cut for silage versus grain. I assume that varies year to year, with presumably more for silage in a bad drought year like 2012. Is there a source for that info? (ie.- how much is being cut for silage versus grain)

Thanks for that clarification. So, to answer the question "Is the corn out?" it would seem that one would need to know the percentage of the corn that is being cut for silage versus grain. I assume that varies year to year, with presumably more for silage in a bad drought year like 2012. Is there a source for that info? (ie.- how much is being cut for silage versus grain)

Don't worry about the silage, it is always out before season starts. "When the corn is out" refers to the corn being harvested for grain. This year the corn will be out before season starts. There may be a little left but that will probably be for hunting. Crops in the field will not be an issue this year.

Different corn products

We harvest 3 types of corn, silage: chopped, piled, wrapped in plastic and fermented for feed to cattle. High moisture corn, harvested at 30% moisture combined, ground/rolled, piled, wrapped and also used as a feed item in a cattle ration. And finally dried down grain corn, the corn that is used in everything. Good luck, SHANE

Back