Hank Is Right on Track

koja48

He's gonna be a dandy! Not bad & right on schedule at 4-months.

4months1.jpg

Basic sit, stay, come, heel commands by the time he was 12-14 weeks. Retrieving fairly consistently (play-retrieving within his puppy-attention-span limitations) shortly thereafter. Now chasing live birds & pointing at four-months with gun-fire at a distance, exactly when it should happen. Water intro tomorrow. Hank is a very smart pup (which leaves me at a distinct disadvantage . . . ).

Basic sit, stay, come, heel commands by the time he was 12-14 weeks. Retrieving fairly consistently (play-retrieving within his puppy-attention-span limitations) shortly thereafter. Now chasing live birds & pointing at four-months with gun-fire at a distance, exactly when it should happen. Water intro tomorrow. Hank is a very smart pup (which leaves me at a distinct disadvantage . . . ).

Very nice, that does sound like he is well along the way.
I will be working through this as well. Just got a 9 week old Setter pup. Can't wait to get started with him.

it is a labor of love, watching/helping these youngsters develop, be patient and have fun, memories for a life time.

It is that. Here's an unfettered point from this morning's training session, plus we introduced a training pistol from a distance with no adverse reactions . . . Hank stayed focused on chasing the flushed bird. Slow & easy does it and we'll make a fine team next season (except for my abysmal shooting, of course . . . ).

8-6-111.jpg

Good thought, but I'd be farther ahead shooting a net . . .

:D:D
Confidence is a key to good shooting. Everyone goes through bad streaks, but some streaks last longer than others. ;)

Good luck, and don't think too much when you are shooting. mount the gun, look at the birds head, swing through it and expect it to fall :cheers:

I am so far from an excellent shooter, there was talk of not allowing me the disappointment of hunting.

That said,

check the length of stock on your shotgun. I have found that shorter is better than longer. Went through a stretch where I couldn't even hit the atmosphere, took the pad off the relatively new gun I was using, and things fell back in place.

Best wishes, great pup.

koja48
One thing that will likely help and you can do it anywhere.

Practice mounting your gun. Make sure that you are getting your cheek down on the gun and step toward the target slightly with your lead foot. Do that a few time and then try it with you eyes closed. When you open your eyes the gun should be pointing where you are looking. If it is not you may have a gun fit problem.

Do it when you get a couple of minutes several time a week, and you will be surprised how much it helps.

Hunting with that pup will be a lot of fun if you are not worried about your shooting. Nobody hits them all. Having confidence and a short memory also helps :cheers:

Thanks for the compliments AND the shooting advice, folks. No wonder I like this forum! Actually, I shoot my 20-ga Montifeltro & the 28 Legacy farly well. I struggle with a SxS, so could well be a stock-fit thing; I do better with stacked-barrels, too. Some days I'm "on," some I'm "off." Fortunately, in a long lifetime of wingshooting, none of my furry partners have ever bitten me for missing. Oh sure, they've given me "The Look" a time or two tho . . .

Back