GWP'S vs. Deutsch Drahthaar

Hi my name is Kevin and I'm fairly new to upland hunting last year I bought my first dog an amazing vizsla named Otter. He's been a great member to our family and my kids really enjoy having him and he's a beast in the field. I'm thinking of getting another dog and am looking at many different breeds I ran into a topic discussing the GWP'S vs.the Deutsch Drahthaar aside from how people look at them basically being the same other then how there registered is there any difference in how the hunt or is one better then the other. I also am curious as to there demeanor I've herd people say they can get aggressive sometimes, I understand breeding and training have alot to do with it but if anyone could explain to me if there's a real difference in the two I would appreciate it thanks

Strict breeding is the main difference. To be registered with the vdd which is governing body Verin Deutsche Drathaar. Possibly a better chance (but not always) at getting a real nice dog. but I'll leave that to be debated by those that can answer from experience. They can also be very fur sharp so watch them around cats.

I'm sure others will chime in with more knowledge.

Last edited:
I had a black and white gsp which had a strong connection to the German blood lines for gsp's. I would anticipate a draathar to be similar. She was tough as nails and had an extremely strong prey drive. As you probably know, Germans breed them to hunt about anything. This is good and bad as outlined above. My daughters cat never had a chance.

She was a hunting machine but a terrible house dog and not the best with kids. Actually, had to get rid of her for snapping at my newborn daughter one to many times. Having said that, if I did not have kids or kept my dog in a kennel, I would not hesitate to have another knowing it will probably be head strong, tough, and a hunting machine.

Incidentally, black is terrible in the heat also. I am not an authority on draathar' but I suspect there may be some similarities. If you get one, let me know what you think.

Breeding over breed rules the day, but...

VERY generally speaking, you are more likely to get a dog that is sharp on fur, standoffish, and more driven with a DD.

With a GWP you are more likely to get a dog is less interested in fur, friendlier, less headstrong, and still birdy.

This is very loose, you will need to work with the breeder and evaluate the parents to try to guess what a particular litter will be like.

I do think I agree that black is a bit of a problem in the heat. My GWP is black and while she does okay, I do have to keep an eye on her and pack around a lot of water. I'll probably shoot for a brown GWP as my next dog, but it is not a big enough of a deal to where if the right dog was available but black instead of brown that I wouldn't go for it.

Last edited:
Birdshooter hit the nail on the head with the strict breeding program. I don't own a DD, but I'm strongly considering one for my next dog. Not that I'm well traveled or been to many dog tests, but most of the GWP's I've seen have really poor coats. That doesn't take anything away from their hunting ability. But, I don't consider picking burs out my dog for a few hours after every outing a good time. There's a Dr. Jack Wilson from Sioux falls, South Dakota who breeds DD's. He's trying to breed out some of the less desirable traits while keeping all of the hunting traits. You can check out versatilehuntingdogs.com or drahthaar addiction on Facebook for more information or starting points in your search. Also I think you can find information on vdd-gna.org

Some general history about DD: http://www.vdd-gna.org/history-of-the-deutsch-drahthaar/

The breed standard is very strict and Breeders are striving to breed out unwanted traits, of which can be a tendency for some individuals to show aggression toward humans. These animals are quickly removed from the breeding program all the while keeping some of the hunting traits that make this breed special. This also furthers my point of selectively choosing a breeder and scheduling a visit if possible to see dog flesh in person.

For a pointing breed you quite possibly won't find a better dog for tracking.

Last edited:
One's a complete mutt, barely worth hunting over.

The other is dang near the best all around hunting dog there is. Hands down.

EDIT: SARCASTIC COMMENT. HOW CAN GENETICALLY IDENTICALLY MATERIAL BE SYSTEMATICALLY DIFFERENT. IT CAN'T.

Last edited:
I was intentionally vague.

I think it's best to read every single forum comment as a sarcastic comment first. This is the internet, don't take it too seriously. EDIT: GOOD ADVICE

How many pissing contests have there been over this issue? EDIT: NOT REFERENCING ANYONE SPECIFIC ON THIS THREAD. If you gave me the choice of a NAVHDA GWP or a DD pup, I'd be happy to close my eyes and pick one. The success (or perhaps more accurately the failings) of either dog will rely more on my skills as a trainier than the dog itself.

For the record, I have a DD coming this winter. My first V-dog. My choice was based on seeing several dogs out the breeder, the breeder's philsophy on breeding, and very high praise for this breeder from someone I absolutely respect.

Last edited:
The success (or perhaps more accurately the failings) of either dog will rely more on my skills as a trainier than the dog itself.

I disagree, genetics and selective breeding play just as important a factor as does training. Regardless of training, not everyone will be world class sprinter, nor a touring professional golfer, nor a professional football player etc... The same goes for dogs. The traits that are bred into them will determine how far any individual can be taken. Both are equally important.

For the record, I have a DD coming this winter. My first V-dog. My choice was based on seeing several dogs out the breeder, the breeder's philsophy on breeding, and very high praise for this breeder from someone I absolutely respect.

I agree with visiting a prospective breeder and seeing dogs in the flesh, but if training "in your words" determines the success or failure of a dog, why would it matter to you what the breeders philosophy is on breeding?

Last edited:
I disagree, genetics and selective breeding play just as important a factor as does training. Regardless of training, not everyone will be world class sprinter, nor a touring professional golfer, nor a professional football player etc... The same goes for dogs. The traits that are bred into them will determine how far any individual can be taken. Both are equally important.

I agree with visiting a prospective breeder and seeing dogs in the flesh, but if training "in your words" determines the success or failure of a dog, why would it matter to you what the breeders philosophy is on breeding?

I actually think we are on the same page here. A well bred GWP or DD are born with similar potential. An owner can not train the dog at all, and the dog will still hunt (in the most primal way). A owner can follow a program with either dog and most likely get a very good hunting companion. Or an owner can botch training and ruin a perfectly good dog.

Hence me being willing to close my eyes and pick a dog. I know either would be born with the right tools for the job.

Mutt hunt - I thought this statement was funny and well crafted for this thread.

Those of you who got your panties in a bunch over that probably need a vacation.

EDIT: SARCASTIC COMMENT. HOW CAN GENETICALLY IDENTICALLY MATERIAL BE SYSTEMATICALLY DIFFERENT. IT CAN'T.

Funny...enjoyed this post.

I've spent a lot of time researching both breeds along with Griffons. I've been to VDD testing sessions, met and talked to various breeders of all the of the above. I liken this debate to the Ford, Chevy, and Dodge discussions. Ultimately, after doing your homework, meeting breeders and understanding their philosophies, watching dogs actually work...follow your gut and get what you feel best meets your needs/desires.

side note...bird season is upon us gents, take some of the passion out on CRP fields, busting brush, and chasing birds. Life is too short.

Back