Gun training puppy

A couple days later i took him to the trap range and walked around so he could hear all the shooting from a distance, then stood behind a shooter (with permission) and gave him a piece of kibble every time the guy shot.
I wouldn't follow this advice, a good way to ruin a dog. And what if something goes wrong? Next you have your dog running across one or multiple trap fields right in the line of fire. I'm a member of a trap club and I see people do stupid stuff there trying to train a puppy all the time. If the gun clubs I know of are busy, this could mean 25 people at shooting stations on various fields. Much better to go the cap gun/starter pistol route, and find a spot in the country. Lots of different ways to do it, I think the big thing is gradual building up of acceptance of the gun report.

I will share my current main bird dog IS NOT GUN SHY in anyway and in fact if I am carrying a shotgun he is excited ... but he hates fireworks ... he does not shake or cower when he hears them, but certainly wants to go inside.
I've shot hundreds of shots over my Lab hunting....but thunder or fireworks? she's in the house in a corner....weird

I wouldn't follow this advice, a good way to ruin a dog. And what if something goes wrong? Next you have your dog running across one or multiple trap fields right in the line of fire. I'm a member of a trap club and I see people do stupid stuff there trying to train a puppy all the time. If the gun clubs I know of are busy, this could mean 25 people at shooting stations on various fields. Much better to go the cap gun/starter pistol route, and find a spot in the country. Lots of different ways to do it, I think the big thing is gradual building up of acceptance of the gun report.

Explain how it could go wrong on an already introduced dog? Besides just the blanket statement of criticism.

He was on a leash, heeling next to me. My dog is trained, unlike Goose.

Trap are shot 19 yards in the air, no line of fire.

And did you not read i did start him on cap gun (209 primer) gradually bringing it up?

Its like you did not read any of my post, just saw the keyword "trap club" and had red vision.

The trap range loved him, they have their own resident lab that walks around the course. We spent more time with him having his head petted than anything, everyone wanted to interact with him. It made for a perfectly pleasant trip, no bad experience at all!

I will share my current main bird dog IS NOT GUN SHY in anyway and in fact if I am carrying a shotgun he is excited ... but he hates fireworks ... he does not shake or cower when he hears them, but certainly wants to go inside.

Just curious, did you try "training" with the fireworks? This question is for everyone who has a firework shy dog. No criticism at all, just curious if training for them actually helps or doesnt matter?

My older dog is terrified of fireworks, so with the puppy around the 4th i always had kibble in my pocket 24/7. Every time a firework went off that he responded to (looked up, flinched, got curious) i gave him a bite, petted, played, and got him excited about it. I dont know if it helped at all, but after a couple days he didnt care about the fireworks one bit other than looking to me like "wheres my food dummy". On the 4th we sat outside on the porch and watched the fireworks show together, at 16wks he sat next to me and watched all the big mortars and seemed to enjoy it. I dont remember him even flinching or spooking at all on the 4th, even with my neighbor sending up mortars 100 yards away.

If something were to go wrong at the trap range. Is there a way to pull a dog out without turning a stressful situation into a terrifying one? You’re taking a dog somewhere where you’re not in control of the action

Last edited:
Indoor dog. He does not have to be outside if he does not want to. Like I said he does not panic, if he hears fireworks he just runs to the slider and says let me in please. If I am in the yard too - he may come over and stand by me.

If something were to go wrong at the trap range. Is there a way to pull a dog out without turning a stressful situation into a terrifying one? You’re taking a dog somewhere where you’re not in control of the action

Same way you get them out of any other stressful situation, ie aggressive dog on walk scaring pup, pup barking at a person/dog/critter or wanting to defend you, loud unexpected noise, etc.

Part of being a dog owner is knowing how to have your pup respond to these situations, and it has nothing to do with being a hunting dog. This is basic dog training in general. You reassure your pup, you tighten lead to a heeling length, you get your knee between your dog and the cause of the situation, and you turn to lead your dog away. Once out of harms way, you reassure your dog with whatever he/she responds to best. Be it petting, playing, treats, etc. Never let the dog hide, but make the dog feel YOU are in control of the situation and the dog can rely on YOU to make it good.

In the situation of a trap range, you should know before you even get to the gate if you dog is going to be okay with this.. should be hearing shots from the parking lot, and gradually walking closer. If the dog isnt having it, who in their rifht mind would continue and force it?

Theres always an intelligent and a not so intelligent way to do things, I assume a vast majority on here use their brains and can disect and assess each situation regarding their specific dog.

To be honest I cringe anytime someone brings their dog (any breed and any age) to a trap, skeet, or sporting clays range past the parking lot. Humans wear hearing protection, but dogs do not.

To be honest I cringe anytime someone brings their dog (any breed and any age) to a trap, skeet, or sporting clays range past the parking lot. Humans wear hearing protection, but dogs do not.

Extremely good point ☝️ if we really want what is best for our dogs we wont do ANY shooting arount them for the first year or so, until they are fully developed in their hearing (primers/blanks included). Children as well. Even lawnmowers, chainsaws, and other lawn equipment can hurt your pups hearing.

I think it's a bad idea, my opinion. Seems most on here do as well. The part that really got me is bringing him right down to the trap field when people are shooting. You did the right thing by having him on a leash. If he's already "introduced" why do you want to bring him anyways? Now you just exposed him to high volume shooting. One squad shooting trap is 125 reports. I'm glad he was on a leash. I've seen the same scenario where the lab was getting so excited he pulled the leash out of owners hand and ran to fetch the clay. You're right when you said you need to be able to handle your dog in stressful situations. But why force him into the chance of one purposefully.

There’s so many ways to do this is so many opinions on it from gooses shoot and pray 🙏 to very long drawn out interactions with cap Guns. I can tell you I cringe with the shoot and pray method, ruins a lot of dogs. Gun shyness is 100 % man made. Unfortunately some of us still have a cave man way of thinking.
Besides the obvious getting pups used to loud noises at dinner time and around the house. I like to do Gun intro at the same time as live bird intro. It helps build excitement around the gunfire and helps them to associate gunfire with birds and retrieving at the same time. We start with fresh dead pigeons or chukars and a starter pistol. 1 person handles the dog on cal check cord throwing and playing with the dead bird, while the other works in gunfire from the blank pistol starting around 80 yds out and working in. We try and time the shots with throws of the bird. The dog is least likely to worry about the gunfire pops cus he’s so excited about chasing the retrieve. Gradually you’re right next to him shooting while throwing. If the dog gets nervous at any point you always back up and build more confidence first. Take it at the dogs pace. We do this over 3 or 4 sessions until you’re using live rounds and shotguns and shooting live flushed birds.
It helps to create confident dogs that actually have an idea of what the gunshot means and what to expect and also builds bird drive at the same time.

The reason I don't like bringing a young dog the gun club, is because I've seen it go sideways before. I shoot at a really friendly and welcoming spot. One day were we leaving and here in the parking lot there's a guy (who I'm assuming was well intentioned but completely ignorant). He's holding a squirming and clearly anxious/nervous gsp puppy on his lap. He grinned and said "He's gotta get used to it sooner or later." One of the older guys walking out told him it was probably too early in the dogs life and not a good idea. I really hope he didn't ruin that little pup. I could go on with other examples.

I have owned 5 pure bred labrador retrievers. None have been the least bit gun shy.All have retrieved birds well.2 have retrieved to hand,with no real training.I did not do gun training. I just went out with a 20 guage,or a 410.

Maybe, i dont know... Try actually training the dog instead of just taking it hunting? Just a suggestion. I know you said before training is for stupid dogs, but who knows... Maybe you got one
You are missing the point. The point is, all labs will hunt, if you hunt every week.

Good genes and patience goes' a long way with a young gun dog. Good luck with your pup Goose!
He is full of piss and vinegar, but he will start hunting pretty soon.He is only 12 weeks old.One of his parents hunted I was told.Pretty soon, I will do some retrieving bumper training with a wing.I generally just hunt a lot.

Back