Gun Lubrication

I believe John Browning originally recommended some heavy motor oil on the magazine tube. Could be mistaken... There probably weren't a lot of "gun" oils back then. Either way, it worked well.

Was in a bind once on a quail hunt in western Oklahoma… dads franchi al48 which is an A5 copy wasn’t cycling. Pulled the dip stick on my Tacoma and put a few drops of oil on the friction ring. Perfect. worked like a charm the rest of the weekend.
Works in ratcheting chain binders when hauling a tractor too….

I use either Renaissance Wax or Johnson's Paste Wax, before start of season, on ALL (wood and metal) exposed surfaces.

I've heard/read that Hoppe's gun oil is preferred over Rem Oil.

I have been using Clenzoil for over 50 yrs. World headquarters used to be in ne ohio. I used to Waterfowl & coon hunt along the shores of lake Erie, among other hunting & shooting. Ne ohio averages over 100 inches of precip a year. If it works here, it will work about anywhere. I have 2 buddys that I hunt with that have each won the grand national trapshoot. They say most of the shooters they competed against also use Clenzoil. I use nothing else. Wd 40 has a fish oil base that gets gummy. I use wd40 to spray my baits when fishing.

All of the above except target guns. Then I grease hinge pins and locks. Hunting guns shouldn't have grease because it will attract dirt and power etc. and will get thick and tough during very cold weather. A good 30 weight engine oil, like Mobil 1 will also work on target guns and simi auto pistols. Again, grease and Mobil 1 on heavy use guns. field guns and carry pistols, I use rem oil, reel oil, wd 40. Before stainless steel choke tubes I used never sieze, now just light oil. I also tear down and remove all lubes from a new gun. shoot it a few hundred rounds dry then start lubing. .This gives all touching parts a chance to mesh.

Lucas oil makes a good gun oil. Used transmission fluid on my 1911 in the Army and I’ve used it quite a bit since then. Not too much wrong with it. EEzox is a good protectant, but there are better lubes.

I have been using Clenzoil for over 50 yrs. World headquarters used to be in ne ohio. I used to Waterfowl & coon hunt along the shores of lake Erie, among other hunting & shooting. Ne ohio averages over 100 inches of precip a year. If it works here, it will work about anywhere. I have 2 buddys that I hunt with that have each won the grand national trapshoot. They say most of the shooters they competed against also use Clenzoil. I use nothing else. Wd 40 has a fish oil base that gets gummy. I use wd40 to spray my baits when fishing.
WD-40 does not contain fish oil.
That is an urban myth: https://www.wd40.com/myths-legends-fun-facts/
WD-40 contains mostly aliphatic hydrocarbons and petroleum based oils

All of the above except target guns. Then I grease hinge pins and locks. Hunting guns shouldn't have grease because it will attract dirt and power etc. and will get thick and tough during very cold weather. A good 30 weight engine oil, like Mobil 1 will also work on target guns and simi auto pistols. Again, grease and Mobil 1 on heavy use guns. field guns and carry pistols, I use rem oil, reel oil, wd 40. Before stainless steel choke tubes I used never sieze, now just light oil. I also tear down and remove all lubes from a new gun. shoot it a few hundred rounds dry then start lubing. .This gives all touching parts a chance to mesh.
I always grease the bearing surfaces on my 40-year old Citoris and have had no problems with them in extreme cold up in Alaska.

Lucas oil makes a good gun oil. Used transmission fluid on my 1911 in the Army and I’ve used it quite a bit since then. Not too much wrong with it. EEzox is a good protectant, but there are better lubes.
Lucus makes some great products. Transmission, power steering fluids additives, etc.

Why not? I often spray silicone on canvas pants for example.
Silicon has an adverse effect on wood & canvas. It will make small defects in a “checkering” pattern. Fine furniture makers specifically recommend no silicon on their furniture. Sunbrella specifically recommends “303” for their canvas.

WD-40 does not contain fish oil.
That is an urban myth: https://www.wd40.com/myths-legends-fun-facts/
WD-40 contains mostly aliphatic hydrocarbons and petroleum based oils
I do not know if I believe this. I do know that wd40 gets gummy over time, much like fish oil. I have experimented with wd40 & fish off of dock in clear water. I dropped a spoon amongst a school of bluegills & they scattered. The next day, the same spoon with wd40 sprayed on it attracted them. I was running a 40’ head boat with 20 customers on it & a 10 lb fire extinguisher fell off of a bulkhead & emptied right between me & the mate. Our rods & reels were between us & the extinguisher. 8 hours later, all 20 customers had caught fish. The mate & I had none, I usually catch more than my share. I went home & showered, then sprayed my tackle with a hose & then wd40. The next day on the boat, I went right back to catching fish as normal for me.

I was right with you until you mentioned WD-40. That should never be used on a firearm.

Back