Gun Dog

birdman652001

Most of you know that my German Shorthaired Pointer is missing...

I do want to find another dog, and if I find my dog, then I'd have two dogs and I have no problem with that.

however, I had this discussion with my wife....

should I get another GSP or what we've been talking about:

A Brittany,
English Springer

or what do you suggest? I want a family/hunting dog. our GSP was perfect, smart, behaves and rarely chews on anything that he wasn't suppose to. It was rare he was a trouble maker and he was hitting a year old when he went missing.

Which Breed?

Most of you know that my German Shorthaired Pointer is missing...

I do want to find another dog, and if I find my dog, then I'd have two dogs and I have no problem with that.

however, I had this discussion with my wife....

should I get another GSP or what we've been talking about:

A Brittany,
English Springer

or what do you suggest? I want a family/hunting dog. our GSP was perfect, smart, behaves and rarely chews on anything that he wasn't suppose to. It was rare he was a trouble maker and he was hitting a year old when he went missing.

If you liked having a dog that points, then choose the Brittany because the ESS is a flusher, not a pointer like the GSP. Both breeds are reputed to be great family pets just as are GSPs.

Don't think you can go wrong with either. Just comes down to flusher or pointer and what you want to hunt with. One of the joys of getting a new dog is all the looking and research that goes into it. Enjoy it!

Matt D

I dont have to have a dog on POINT. I just like the GSP but I also am fond of Brittanys, especially the size wise. my GSP was a male and he was a monster size dog.

My GSP legs were so long, he would jump in bed at times, and pretty much spread his legs and push me out of bed. I kid you not, he never pushes my wife off, He lays with his back to my wife and i get the paws.

I like both, but I dont want to buy TWO dogs at once. Its either pretty narrowed down to GSP or a Brit.

My wife says if we get another GSP, she says it would remind her of our missing dog too much as well. I say just get a brittany and you wont have to worry. But she does like how GSP are dedicated family dogs.

So its gonna probably be a Brit or a GSP. just thought Id see what you guys suggest. Thats all. merely opinions are great.

Last edited:
I agree with you Birdman, A GSP or a Brit, I have had Brits for about 40+ years, But I had a few GSP's before the Brits. They were good dogs, I no bad things to say about them. The choice is yours, whatever you find that you like and can afford in today's market........Bob

My wife says if we get another GSP, she says it would remind her of our missing dog too much as well. I say just get a brittany and you wont have to worry.

sounds like you have your decision right there.

But she does like how GSP are dedicated family dogs.

From all the research I did before picking my pup, I don't think too many of the bird dog breeds aren't dedicated to the family. Some long time Brit owners could probably expand on this more specifically, but I'm sure a brit would be a great family dog.

Being a Brittany man I will tell how my Brits are in the house. Very well mannered and they don't chew IF when the first time they try are told NO and given a light tap on the nose. They love the kids, Grand-kids for me now. They are so happy to see them and want play. I'm have to tone them down at times.

Right now Tony is in the house, he is with me in my Computer Office. He is laying next to me using my foot as a pillow. I would say Yes, they have a deep love for the children and parents. They can be very protective of them and the house......Bob

I always believe you can't go wrong with either a Springer or a Lab.

Every friend i had that has a lab are obnoixious dogs. they have a hard time sitting still when new people are around.. I used to own one back in high school til it got ran over, he would knock over everything in his path.

my wife's sister has one and he has a hard time sitting still and ignoring commands when people are around and Duke is 3 years old.

Labs just wanna lick lick lick lick... you get close, they get hyper and lick. maybe its just me, but my brother's black lab does that, my wife's sister's dog, my buddy's dog does it. the only dog ive came acrouss as a lab was my dad's friend and his dog is like 12.. has grown most of his life to now calm.

my GSP does get anxious to meet new people, but he remains calm... sure he wants to be petted or play but he knows when to stop or remain calm.

when he was a baby at 4 months old, he had a biting issue when playing. I went to the GSP.net fourm and found a good way to stop him from doing that, worked in 3-4 days, he never bit down anything hard every again except his food.

I told my wife lets just get a brittany and a GSP.

she said lets get a Rescued brittany and I can get a new GSP pup.

done deal.

Last edited:
she said lets get a Rescued brittany and I can get a new GSP pup.

done deal.

I've seen some good looking dogs on the Brittany rescue site. I htink on this forum and another I've heard some great success stories too. Best of luck either way!

I keep an eye on the Brittany Rescue here in Washington. I do it for the day when I have to replace Tony, my Brittany. I have seen some nice looking less than a year old pups on their Website. I do believe when the time comes for me. That is what I'll be getting.......Bob

Back