Gun cleaning???

Hinge points and Choke Tubes lubed with M-Pro 7 Grease. Lube is M-Pro 7 Gun Oil LPX.
I use Howard's Feed n' Wax on the wood.
For cleaning the Bores and Choke Tubes, I use Ed's Red, which I mix.
It is very effective for removing caked residue and Plastic.

Ed's Red Bore Cleaner
by C.E. "Ed" Harris

1 part Dexron II, IIe or III ATF, GM Spec. D-20265 or later.

1 part Kerosene - deodorized, K1

1 part Aliphatic Mineral Spirits, Fed. Spec. TT-T-2981F, CAS
#64741-49-9, or may substitute "Stoddard Solvent", CAS #8052-41-3, or
equivalent, (aka "Varsol")

1 part Acetone, CAS #67-64-1.

Last edited:
WD40 freezes. I hunt in the cold so won't use it.

Breakfree CLP to clean and lube metal.

The bores get a wipe with Hoppes nitro solvent then brushed then swabbed clean.

If the triggers and internal action need cleaning (O/U + SxS) then spray out with scrubber then lightly oiled with CLP.

Using Hoppe's cleaner and two brands of gun oil (Hoppe and Remington), no preference for either. Use either oil on all moving parts and on choke tube threads. I have an antique three-piece wood bore cleaning tool with the usual heads. Before that I had a three-piece aluminum one which was not good because if it slid on the edge of the barrel, aluminum filings would come off and present a separate cleaning challenge.

WD40 freezes. I hunt in the cold so won't use it.
Breakfree CLP to clean and lube metal.
The bores get a wipe with Hoppes nitro solvent then brushed then swabbed clean.
If the triggers and internal action need cleaning (O/U + SxS) then spray out with scrubber then lightly oiled with CLP.
:10sign: Breakfree is the best gun product that I've ever used. I will occasionally spray the bolt and carrier of my semi autos with TriFlow when I'm in the field. I am unaware if Breakfree comes in a spray, or that would work too.

:10sign: Breakfree is the best gun product that I've ever used. I will occasionally spray the bolt and carrier of my semi autos with TriFlow when I'm in the field. I am unaware if Breakfree comes in a spray, or that would work too.

Breakfree does come in a spray.

I use Rem oil wipes. They are more convenient than everything else I used and they are one of the best ways to clean a gun anyways. That depends on what you prefer, though, maybe, it's just me... and some other people who, too, use it.

Back