GSP question.....

HistoryTeacher

Howdy gang. Got a quick question for some of you all regarding my gsp. This is my second gsp, and love the heck out of them. The first one I had I got from a buddy who had one pup left and couldn't find a home, so I took him. No papers or anything official at all. That fella turned out to be best hunting dog I have ever hunted over. He hunted the britches off of other "papered" dogs that had lots and lots of money spent on them. Best temperament and nose I've ever seen in a dog. Spoiled me, really. Anyway, he lived to the ripe old age of 13 then went on to hunt in the clouds. I knew I had to get another one, so went about researching breeders and so forth, and found a reputable one, put my name in for a pup along with some cash, and now have a 1 1/2 year old male. I took him out "hunting" last year knowing that he'd just kind of be along for the ride, and I wanted him to be around gunfire and just start to figure things out. No points or anything, but did fine. This year I took him out opening weekend, and we kicked up probably about 20 birds, but just by walking. He went over several, with no points or anything. We even kicked up a big covey of quail, but he walked right over them without even a hint of being "birdy." I guess my question is, when do I start to worry about his hunting ability? Like I said, I think I was spoiled with my first one, who was a hunter right out of the box. Reckon I kinda expected the same for this guy. He's a great family dog, and loves to be out and listens like a champ, I guess I just want to see him point, and it makes me a tad nervous thinking he not "get it" yet. I have plans in January to get him out with other, seasoned dogs, and maybe that's what it will take for him to figure out what we are doing. I don't know. Any thoughts from you gents are welcomed. Sure love the guy. Just want him to hunt! lol. Take care ya'll.

It'll probably click. I've had a couple of shorthairs that were slow to come around. If you were in Kansas opening weekend, it wasn't exactly the best scenting conditions where I was at. Not sure what it was like around where you were. If he's good with the gunfire and stuff, I would buy some quail and put them out one at a time on a day with good scenting conditions. Pigeons would work well too. I had a guy give me a two year old dog years back. Had never hunted. I let him just tag along with the others for a few trips. He ran through a couple of coveys. Then, one day, it just clicked. He made a fantastic dog. Everyone has their own way, but I let them pick up a lot on their own. Pointing is instinct so its there.

By the way, ringnecks are not pointing dog friendly.

By the way, ringnecks are not pointing dog friendly.

That part is hogwash - just depends on the dog and the owner and how well they work together and if the owner can understand/read the dog and know whats going on - sometimes the dog is the smarter one and knows how to handle the birds. Somedays it doesnt matter how good either are - pheasant will just do what a pheasant does.

I’ve hunted both for years and years and years. It isn’t hogwash. They run more often than they hold. Poses a challenge.

Last edited:
My best friend had a shorthair that never pointed a bird until she was over two years old then one day she started pointing and was a rock solid pointer from that day forward

Turned into a great dog so just keep exposing her to birds and it will likely happen soon

I'm a proponent of not putting too much formal training on a dog when they're young, but at 1.5 years they should be down that path a ways. Letting them figure stuff out on their own year 1 is good and something I do as well, but just letting them figure things out beyond year 1 not so much IMO. The right formal training program helps you evaluate and answer the question that is top of mind. With that said, some breeds are just slower coming on as someone above mentioned with GSP being one and within those breeds the breeding can also be predisposed to a lengthened training/maturity period. Keep hunting him like you have and evaluate his progress. Formal training program is the next thing unless you see absolutely no signs of the light bulb going off.

GSP's will take some time, they seem to mature slower then other pointing breeds. Like everyone has said, it will click one day

Back