GSP pups from proven Navhda and hunt test proven parents

JeremyS

Countryside Show N Go Cooper MH x Thunderhead's Blazing Comet NA1 UT3

We are happy to announce our litter between Cooper and Halley. Puppies were born on December 18th! Both Cooper and Halley are extremely stylish dogs with exceptional talent in the field. Halley's first litter earned a NAVHDA Breeder's Award for Natural Ability. The pups from these two should be great looking, easy to train dogs with great temperaments. Cooper is an AKC Master Hunter who is a proven producer of superior dogs. Cooper's hips are OFA Excellent. Halley is NAVHDA NA Prize 1 and UT Prize 3 dog. Halley's hips are OFA Good. Puppies are priced at $950. A deposit of $100 is required to reserve a puppy and pick order will be based on when deposits are received. Puppies will have tails docked, due claws removed, worming and the first round of shots. The price also includes AKC and NAVHDA registration. 5 pups are still available from this breeding! Contact us soon, they won't last long.

i have heard great things about the thunderheads line. if i remember correctly, my dogs grandfather was a thunderhead dog.

good luck with the sale. wish i could talk the wife into another one. :cheers:

Thanks. These pups should be real nice. The genetics behind these two dogs and what they have produced already is top notch. My website will have more info and be updated with new pictures regularly. www.aspenhillgundogs.com

I had a litter in the spring out of Rowdy. He is a very nice dog. One of the friendliest and most mild mannered I have met. The pups out of him were knockouts to look at. Halley is Rowdy's half-sister.

Here's a better picture of the pups. They are all doing very well. We did tails and dew claws this morning.

Pups are 2 weeks old. We still have 4 available. I do not know exactly which ones, as picks are not made until 7 weeks but there for sure are boys available. At best, there might be 1 girl available. Here is a picture of them. The top row are the boys and the bottom the girls.

I have 1 male pup left out of this litter. They will be 8 weeks old tomorrow and are ready to go home. Here's a couple pictures of the male available.

Jeremy, I see you have quite a bit of Top Gun in some of your dogs. Higgins/Bond/ Di etc...

I have a male out of Higgins and with any luck I will have another one this spring out of a Hope/Snuffy breeding. I always go to Steve when I need another one.

I have been out to visit with Ron at Thunderhead a number of years ago and remember seeing Brutus (not sure if he still has him) run at a training day. Nice dogs.

I'm curious, how would you characterize the differences between what you see in your Top gun blood and Thunderhead stuff?

I have been out to visit with Ron at Thunderhead a number of years ago and remember seeing Brutus (not sure if he still has him) run at a training day.

I've hunted with Thunderhead's dogs several times and handled some in a couple of Walking FT's. You won't find many dogs for the hunter that are any better. As for his latest dogs, Thunderhead's Son of Brute (Sonny) is a very nice dog. Couple of others that I seen run at the NAVHDA Invitational but haven't hunted with are Chase and Otto. They are co-owned by Ron.

cr

I have a lot more experience with the Higgins and Jacob bred dogs. Just a very general observation from my limited experience, but I think the Thunderhead dogs add a little more juice and are a little tougher (not as soft) as far as how they take training. The Higgins/Jacob dogs I have had have been a little more cooperative, but a little softer as far as taking training. It is hard to say I have a preference, but there isn't a dollar amount that could make me part with my Higgins daughter. The pups from my first Thunderhead/Top Gun breeding are only 10 months now, but the reports I have been getting have been very good. I actually have 2 pups from this litter going to people who got pups from my Rowdy/Daysha litter.

That was going to be my next question, crossing Thunderhead with Top Gun.

I've heard it said before that Jacob pups can be on the softer side depending on who he was bred to.

Higgins was a special dog and I remember the first time I had the chance to hunt over him when I went down to visit Steve. Nothing flashy, just an all business, easy handling and very comfortable dog to walk behind. I'm hoping for the same this spring with the Hope/ Snuffy breeding. Hope is from the last litter Higgins produced naturally when he was bred back to his half sister. I think Steve was looking to produce a female version of Higgins. She' s produced at least one litter already that I know of and am hearing good things.

Last edited:
It is a Top Gun Kennels breeding. It's a frozen semen breeding from Hillhaven's Scent Seeker (Snuffy). I would get in touch with Steve quick if you want a pup from that breeding. There are 3 people just that I know already getting pups from it. I would be very surprised if it wasn't already sold out for deposits with a waiting list. I'm not sure how Steve does his pick list.

I would also be very surprised if the Hope/Snuffy breeding isn't sold out. Early last October when I went down to see Steve and I got my name on the list, there were already 5 or 6 deposits down then, me being the 7th. I got the 3rd pick male. I would still make contact though if your interested as he seems to always have something in the works, even if not from his own personal dogs.

Last edited:
I apologize Jeremy for turning your thread into a Top Gun info thread, I should have started a new one. :eek:

That said, I'm curious as to what you were looking to get out of this latest pairing or yours. How would you describe your Halley bitch to the this Cooper dog and what traits you liked about each?

Is Halley's sire Ron's dog Brutus? I saw Brutus when he was still pretty young at 2 years old. Ron sure can train as all of the dogs he had that day seem to handle like a dream.

Last edited:
Not a problem. I don't mind talking bird dogs ever and if we were having this conversation in person it would have spun off in all sorts of different directions. I guess I am a little different than a lot of breeders, whereas my main goal is getting everyone the dog they want, even if it isn't one of mine. I know the quality of Steve's dogs and what comes out of them. I have no problem recommending something from him.

I guess my main goal was to keep the hard charging hunting dog that is easy to train and the temperament to be a great in home companion. I went with this somewhat of an outcross to avoid some of the softness that can happen when you start getting too tight with the Hustler stuff. I love how the Higgins and Jacob bred dogs can be so easy going and just calm, then hit the switch and be all business when they are hunting. The Thunderhead/Shooting Starr stuff seems to be a little tougher in the head, so my hope is that with this mix, they don't get too soft.

Halley is out of Brutus and Bonnie. She can is right on that edge where she is so hard charging, but only to point where you can still handle her and have her be enjoyable to hunt on foot. In the house, she is as easy going as it gets.

I am down to 1 male pup left in this litter. Bolt is 9 weeks old and ready to go. I would like to see him in his new home this week. He is a sharp looking boy. He has had 2 rounds of shots and has been wormed numerous times. Bolt is priced at $950. Here's a couple of recent pictures.

He's a looker !! :thumbsup:

I really get what you mean about trying to find the perfect balance between cooperation and trainability with something that is little more driven and can take a bit more pressure. You aren't the first one to mention that tight Hustler/Enztrand lines can tend to be on the softer side. Brenda Row of Walnut Hill kennels in Georgia has the exact same philosophy. She had a direct Hustler son "Snips Ticked Off" (Rip) who recently passed a few years ago at 17 who was bred from some Wildburg blood to make what she described as something "a little tougher". She likes the biddable nature of the Hillhaven line and the independence and drive of the Wildburg stuff. They have a Fritz dog that has every title known to man attached to it, that is exactly that. But IMO, some of that can be a lot to handle for the average joe who just wants an easy training dog that lives well in the home.

My first GSP came from the Horse and Hunt and while he had Hustler/Baroque in his 3rd and 4th generation, his other side was from some German Import that MHHC gained from their foundation sire. He was much more driven than my Higgins male and took a much heavier hand when it came to training. Training him was a chore, but he had a bird sense with drive to match that was overwhelming. My Higgins male is a softer dog without being too soft, but enough so that I would shut him down if I had to resort to some of the things I did with my first one.

Every now and then I'll hear that Steve put some fire into his line. He had a male (Fletcher) that he bought from Walnut Hill. When I was down to see him in October he showed me this 7 month old bitch he had out of Fletcher and told me that if he let all of his dogs out on a bird field, she would find every one of them before the others. But when you saw her and the rest of the young ones on the stake out, she was the most vocal and restless. His customers dictate what he mostly tries to produce. A dog that will take to training for the average guy and be a good companion in the family home.

Hope you find a home for that last youngster of yours.

Back