GSP getting cut up

Labradinger

Have a pup just turned 1 and it seems like every 3-4 days she has some new gash somewhere. Nothing that really looked like it needed stitches yet but shes starting to look like she ran through a gauntlet of weed wackers. Shes liver colored so every scar that wont grow hair really pops. Plz tell me shes gonna outgrow going a million mph through everything instead of around.

I have no answers for you. My GSP has been sewn up a few times. She is 3 now and still goes 100 mph. My Vizsla's have an off switch. My GSP....not so much.

possibly farsighted? one of my dogs used to run into trash and fence and get cut up. but he was the only one which got me wondering if he was farsighted.

possibly farsighted? one of my dogs used to run into trash and fence and get cut up. but he was the only one which got me wondering if he was farsighted.
i think her vision is ok. I find her on point regularly on flies in the house at different distances. When she goes outside she has to sprint everywhere she goes. Was kinda hopin someone was gonna give me a magic supplement to make her skin tougher😀

i think her vision is ok. I find her on point regularly on flies in the house at different distances. When she goes outside she has to sprint everywhere she goes. Was kinda hopin someone was gonna give me a magic supplement to make her skin tougher😀

if she sees flies in the house her vision must be normal

Last edited:
We have 3 acres, its surround by farm fields with barbed wire and there are rough areas-tall grass, brush pules ect. . I put a gps collar on and let her run around. She picked up on the recall beep in the 550 plus immediately and if i see shes getting a little far on the remote i hit that and back she comes. I saw one small cut happen goin through a fence but she will just randomly show up with new ones, not sure how they all happen. I have a feeling im in for some vet bills this fall.

It could be cause she’s young or could be her style of running… too early to tell! Our TGK shorthairs do not run like this- they grew out of it fairly early. Our rusty clown shorthairs - run super hard like this! We pick and choose who gets to run depending on size and type of cover we are in.

I have a female short hair that runs like that. If the cover is thick, or tall grass I put a vest on her. If the temps allow. My Pointer can run through the same cover and not have a scratch. The pointer has got into barb wire the last two years though...

It just goes with the territory. If you have a fairly big running hunting dog it's going to get cut up, depending on the cover, etc. I've got a big, hard running Brittany and I can't count the number of times she has had a cut or two.

She just came into the house with about a solid 1.5-2 by 1/4 inch wide gash on the top of her back. Shes been out in the yard with the gps collar on, stayed close, ive been in and out with her all afternoon. I give up. Looks to me like she decided to go full speed under the boat trailer where some bolts stick out. Ive never seen a dog look so beat up, especially having done nothing but just be alive outside.

Back