Grouse report

Ranger6

Tough going right now the cover is still really thick. I hunted Monday in pouring rain North of Park falls. I did not move any birds but only hunted an hour. I moved a few birds south of Spooner on Tuesday walked about an hour but the heat was hard on the dog. The heat was tough to deal with but heat and cover are just things to deal with in early season. Looking forward to October and cooler days to come.
Good luck stay safe.
Tom

I will be heading up to the Park Falls/Phillips/Prentice area the first week of October. Hopefully the weather cools by then....my understanding is that the leaves my be turning and coming down a little early this year, so that can only help matters!

Got out last Sunday, Lincoln County land. Flushed 2 grouse. One too far, one behind a nice big fir tree. No shots. Good luck everybody. Hope it cools off soon!

Too hot to hunt and another summer weekend in store. Hunted a little opening weekend to get the dog some exercise. Walked trails wearing shorts and tennis shoes. Next weekend we'll get serious.

Weekend reoport

Was out this past Saturday in south central price county with my springer and my son. Flushed two small coveys (missed shots) and jumped two single adults in a different area. Son connected on the first to bag his first grouse and I connected on a second lightly and my dog made a great retrieve deep in the alders. Not seeing the birds like we did the past couple years at this time. Not sure if the chicks were affected from the wet spring or if the heat and dry fall has them relocated from the areas I hunted. Next hunt will be mid October, hoping the cooler temps and less foliage will change the numbers a bit. None the less was a great weekend to be out, cooler, dog worked great and my son and I had a blast.

Returned yesterday from my trip to the Northwoods.....many miles walked and brought home one grouse and no woodcock. Hunted in many of the same coverts that we've always had success, very few flushes, and some days we had none. Only flushed 3 woodcock over the course of the week. Similar reports from many of the folks we talked with and sounds like a consensus opinion is that the wet spring may have had an impact on brood survival.

Spent Friday and Saturday in the woods, with both spots being the first time. TBH, it was my first time hunting grouse, period. On Friday, I was with a friend and his pup. We flushed 3 grouse but only saw one of them with no shot. For Saturday, I was by myself with no dog and flushed the one woodcock 3 times, with no shots. Was hoping to see more, but still really enjoyed my time in the woods.

Another mediocre report

Between rain drops was able to get about 7 miles of walking in this weekend. Spent time in Price and Lincoln Counties. Very limited grouse flushes in comparison to last fall. Woodcock were much better. Found a good area with combined young slashings bordering mature woods that the dog was able to work well. At least 10 flushes in about an hour spent in that area so they are in the area right now, just need to find the right habitat. Had a lot of fun shooting and missing mainly but did make some connections. Making one last hoorah trip first weekend in November. Hoping for a better grouse brood hatch next spring.

Between rain drops was able to get about 7 miles of walking in this weekend. Spent time in Price and Lincoln Counties. Very limited grouse flushes in comparison to last fall. Woodcock were much better. Found a good area with combined young slashings bordering mature woods that the dog was able to work well. At least 10 flushes in about an hour spent in that area so they are in the area right now, just need to find the right habitat. Had a lot of fun shooting and missing mainly but did make some connections. Making one last hoorah trip first weekend in November. Hoping for a better grouse brood hatch next spring.

I'm debating whether or not to make it up to the counties directly south and west of Lincoln County this weekend. I'm mostly targeting woodcock, but would like to expose my young pup to grouse. Any thoughts on whether or not the woodcock have migrated through the area? Is driving to this area for 3 hrs to grouse worth it this season? I personally don't mind not harvesting any - leaving my ego at home - this is mostly to get my dog on wild birds not present in big numbers in the southern half of WI.

Thanks in advance.

My guess would be the woodcock flushes will be limited now but some will still remain. I plan to target southern and eastern areas of price county and the Tomahawk area of Lincoln this weekend as I have witnessed the numbers are a bit higher. So far this year northern and western price county has been somewhat of a bust. From what I have hunted and feedback from other hunters no areas seem to be spilling over with grouse this year. Miles walked and distance from the main road areas should provide some action.

My guess would be the woodcock flushes will be limited now but some will still remain. I plan to target southern and eastern areas of price county and the Tomahawk area of Lincoln this weekend as I have witnessed the numbers are a bit higher. So far this year northern and western price county has been somewhat of a bust. From what I have hunted and feedback from other hunters no areas seem to be spilling over with grouse this year. Miles walked and distance from the main road areas should provide some action.

Grouse seems very limited indeed, based on what I've heard. Also, west nile virus is now affecting their population - according to reports. Not a good season for many.

Oh and a three hour ride to get a pup out in the thick woods is always worth it, birds or not!!!

I dont disagree one bit! Just want to make sure he gets as many wild bird contacts as possible and increasing the odds of that happening is my main objective at the moment... Need to go where the timberdoodles are!

I've been out in Vilas County 4 times now over the last two weekends. I'm shooting limits of woodcock, but have flushed only one grouse. Good thing we have woodcock and it looks to me like woodcock reproduction was very good this year. The migration will be fun.

The biologists talk about a 10 year grouse cycle and I've read the reports about this years drumming counts being the lowest in 35 years. I've been hunting grouse in WI since moving back from Florida in '88. In the 90's I had outstanding grouse hunting. My experience the last 15 years, or so, has been poor for grouse. It's been a long, long time since I had 5 grouse pointed in one day, much less shot a limit. However, I've focused on hunting a lot of young aspen that makes for good hunting on woodcock. Maybe my choice of cover has something to do with fewer grouse opportunities, but I don't think so.

I put up 5 today just north of the border. All in deciduous areas. I sure didnt think I would be hunting with the ground covered in snow.

Back