Group Field Walkies/Radios???(Bday Present for Dad!)

PointerPrincess

First and foremost- thanks to anyone taking the time to read this and hopefully offer any experience or advice they have had. Honestly, input on what NOT to buy is going to be just as helpful for me.

Quick Background Story:
Pheasant hunting is easily my family's strongest tradition (as much as my Mom likes to think that its going to church ;) ) and its become even more significant to my Dad, Brother and I since we lost my Grandpa to cancer since its the closest any of us can feel to him anymore. Anyways, my Dad's birthday is in a few days and I'm finally able to afford to get him something more than just caramel filled chocolates.

We have English Pointers so we take our field sweeps in pretty spread out formations and at a relatively fast pace with the posters quite a ways out on top of that... the group is going through training the next generation in so despite our napkin maps we drew out at the lodge the night before it more often than not falls apart and ends in quite the irritating roosters up to roosters down ratio..... so while we were waiting for half the group to find their way out of this horrible swamp labyrinth that we are always going to be stupid enough to hunt because of the bachelor pad its become for roosters it occurred to me that the trips would be a lot more fun for my younger brother and the other boys if there was alot less confusion, disappointment and time spent trying to figure out what the hell some of these guys are thinking.

Anyone had any experience with Walkie talkies/radios?
Ideally, I'd like there to be at least a set of 4 or at least the ability to connect to others... obviously durable or waterproof would be nice... I'm thinking an earpiece would be essential(I've used them at my old work) since its hard to always hear/understand incoming calls without one but I'm also sure the birds could get spooked from it just bein out for the world to hear... and I'm worried about a hip clipped radio being easily lost in a field... my dad always wears the remote to the dogs' collars around his neck so maybe he'd like the neck strap...

ANY thoughts, comments, suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated :)

Welcome to the site pointer princes.:). Before you put any further time into gathering info on radios for the field check your states laws on radio use. There's "fair-chase" laws on the books that prohibit the use of radios while in persuit of wild game so it may not be an option where you are hunting. If legal where you are hunting there's plenty of folks on the forum who can steer you in the right direction:cheers: Nick

Welcome to the site pointer princes.:). Before you put any further time into gathering info on radios for the field check your states laws on radio use. There's "fair-chase" laws on the books that prohibit the use of radios while in persuit of wild game so it may not be an option where you are hunting. If legal where you are hunting there's plenty of folks on the forum who can steer you in the right direction:cheers: Nick
Well gosh that's a good thing to know! We really only ever hunt in Minnesota and South Dakota..... definitley should look into that.... awwwww man! it would be just my luck to find out my "perfect", well-thought out gift is a flop

Doin my research

Okay so according to the Minnesota DNR:
Use of radio equipment:
? Motorized decoys controlled by remote may be used for taking migratory
waterfowl or mourning doves where they are otherwise legal. Remote
communication between handlers and dogs is also allowed.

this was the only clause in the whole damn 2012 booklet I could find that seemed even sorta close to what I was trying to find out...please tell me that it somehow means I'm okay on the home front at least?

The majority of hunting will be done in Minnesota but the best and most important hunting will be done in South Dakota so thats the one I'm really actually concerned with :D

the Midwest in general evidently has something against radios

So I finally found myself a list.......... looks like its back to the drawing board for Dad's birthday present since every damn state within driving distance rejects my otherwise flawless idea :(

State Radios For Taking Game?
Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
California
Colorado- Illegal
Connecticut
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa- Illegal
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan- Legal
Minnesota Illegal
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana Illegal
Nebraska
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
North Dakota
Ohio- Illegal
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota Illegal
Tennessee
Texas
Utah- Legal
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
West Virginia
Wisconsin Illegal
Wyoming

But good to know in advance, yes?

Hang in there. There are entire INDUSTRIES dedicated to making stuff for hunters.

Best wishes.

I wouldn't give up so easy. It might be worth a little research to clarify the specific prohibition. I thought that the radios were illegal only if the communication was about the location and behavior of the game. As long as you only talk about the location and behavior of the hunters, it may be legal. Otherwise, how could we carry our cell phones? (Maybe I'm the only one who does)

From Kansas' website:
It is illegal to locate or give information concerning the location of game animals by radio or other mechanical means...

Sorta like this:
"We're tired and head to the truck"--ok
"Anybody seen my dog?"--ok
"Help! I just stepped in a hole and twisted my ankle"--ok
"We just pushed a bunch of roosters into that slough way off to the left"--not ok

"No person may send or receive a message by
radio, cellular telephone, or other electronic
form of communications while in or on a
motor vehicle for the purpose of hunting big
game, small game or migratory waterfowl."

This is a quote from the Page 43, SD Hunting and Trapping handbook.
SO , this says its only illegal when you are in a motor vehicle. It seems that you can use them in the field to do exactly what the OP wants to do.

Last edited:
"No person may send or receive a message by
radio, cellular telephone, or other electronic
form of communications while in or on a
motor vehicle for the purpose of hunting big
game, small game or migratory waterfowl."

This is a quote from the Page 43, SD Hunting and Trapping handbook.
SO , this says its only illegal when you are in a motor vehicle. It seems that you can use them in the field to do exactly what the OP wants to do.

I would still recommend a call the the GFP just to be on the safe side.

If you are using the radios or cell phones to simply communicate between hunters and NOT aiding in the taking of game I don't see why it would be an issue. But better safe than sorry. Make the call to the GFP.

I read a MNDNR citation report about some hunters using walkie-talkies while grouse hunting. Needless to say, they got written up.

Back