Great Start to the week!

mcclinj

Although we were unable to kill any birds, my buddy Ed and I took my 11 month old GSP to SGL 232 Monday morning and then to Conemaugh Dam "Virginia Farms" areas in the afternoon.

We had a great time, but were a bit confused as the weekend before another buddies springer found 4 roosters in 2 hours and 3 within 20 minutes. This dog had been introduced to gunfire..but had never seen a bird before. My dog, who has been working birds since 12wks....found zero in about a combined 5 hours of hunting. I'm hoping the area just got hit hard this past weekend and its not my dog...lol.

Yesterday, my dog and I celebrated my 30th birthday chasing grouse around laurel mountain. She found one, but it flushed as she skidding to a stop and I was still outta range.

I'm going to try and hunt her one more time before her hunt test this weekend where hopefully, we can pick up her 4th and final leg for a JH title.

May not sound overly exciting, but it sure beat work and school....plus I think she's starting to figure things out!

-John

John;

Sounds like you had a good hunt! Don't be concerned about not finding any birds. Hunting "stocked' birds can be like that. Your buddy's Springer might have just hit it just right after the birds being released. Scenting conditions play a major role also, the conditions can change even by the hour. One dog can hunt a field early in morning and not even get birdie and a few hours later another dog is all over it!

Good luck at the Hunt Test this week end, and please keep us posted! It doesn't get much more exciting than that!

Dan

Good luck at the hunt test. Where is the test being held?

Glad your having some luck. I had to give the dogs a break this week to rest them up for the weekend.

The test is at Miami Valley Vizsla Club in Cardington Ohio...its a bit of a hual, but I really wanted to finish JH this fall and move on for the spring testing season. I'm hoping to find a NAVHDA chapter to test her in for NA early spring, I missed my chances at all the close chapters this year.

-John

We hear you...I just love being out there and watching the dogs work because in the end that's what it is all about!

Good Luck!

Turns out it was a great end to the week too. Chloe finished her JH title yesterday with a qualifying score of 10-9-9-7. I'm a bit bummed that her trainability score was a 7 but at first she decided to forget running the course and head straight to the bird field (which was where the wind was coming from so I couldn't get too mad)

She managed to find point and allow me to flush 5 birds, 3 of which were in their own little covey....I never expected to flush 3 at a time during a hunt test. We got plenty of pictures of the day, but no "hero" ribbon shot as the club was out of finishing ribbons.

I'm gonna try and get her out hunting again tomorrow, trying to gear her up for Kansas over Thanksgiving!

-John

Bauerline, we're gonna try our best out in KS, we're probably stuck in the eastern half of the state this time and I've not heard good things but we're sure gonna try.

Dan, Will have pictures up Monday when the wife goes to work (Its much less of a hassle on her super fast work computer)

-John

Back