great mystery of the world

blackcloud27

Hey capt Coot. Where do coot come from? Has anyone seen a flock of coot flying gracefully south? Has anyone seen baby coot?? Do they just rise up in the spring from the murky depths of the swamp?? Has anyone ever shot a limit of coot or wanted too?? Has anyone ever had a trophy coot mounted?? If so how bad did it look?? Is the great and all knowing Capt Coot trying to evolve into some thing more gracefull and regal like a ringneck pheasant?? What was bigger and redder today the bullseye on your rifle target or the scope ring around your eye:p:p:p stick to a bb gun they dont bite back:D:D:D

Bigger mystery is why you can't kill anything blackcloud all that equipment and nothing. I'm beginning to think you belong to peta. I do know coot are very territorial so stay of my hunting ground.

I don't know where coots come from and all that, but I did have an eye opening experience with them this duck season. I have a friend who is a pro duck guide and a damn good one. He had an out of town group of CEO's and other small children out for a hunt. The ducks weren't flying, but these guys wanted to shoot something so they popped about 50 coots. Of course, nobody wanted to eat them so they sat in a pile overnight. The next morning I was down and had a great hunt. Those boys always want me to take home the birds, and my buddy was trying to get me to take a bunch of the coots home as well. Keep in mind that this is prime marshland in South Louisiana, right about where hurricane Rita hit a few years back. He swore that the old people would rather eat a coot than anything. I took the coots just to humor him. Keep in mind that I also had a bag full of pintail, mallards, gadwall, and teal.
When I got home, the conservationist in me wouldn't allow me to throw the coots away, so I decided to have a taste test. I breasted out a bunch of the coots and all of the teal. IMO, teal are one of the best eating ducks out there, so I clearly expected them to win. I wanted the full flavor of the ducks, so the breast were simply pan fried in butter and seasoning. No frying, or other flavor cover ups. I'll be damned if the coot wasn't at least as good as the teal and maybe even better. I've duck hunted for 20 years and always heard about the trash ducks, but I now think a lot of that is bunk. I also enjoy fried gizzards and hearts, and the gizzard of a coot is about the same size as a goose gizzard.:eek:
Bottom line, if I strike out on "good ducks" from here on out, and want some meat to take home, I won't consider coots a waste of a good shell.:cheers:

Hey Cootie i have had several great hunting trips. Caribou, bears , deer, waterfowl in canada. most of the time when i get skunked its with YOU. how do you control the wind anyway. i leave my house drive to yours and the wind is gale force by the time i get there. :eek:

I recall one morning eons ago when I was waiting for ducks on the grade at WhiteLake SD. It was still rather dark and hundreds of coots got off the lake and headed south in obvious migration. I have never seen a migration into or out of a lake nor in the sky other than on that occasion. They are just sort of there and gone without seeing them in flight.

I found em boys. On a golf course in Cozumel Mexico last week. Noticed some had red beeks and some had grey.

They were mixed in with the teal, crocodiles, iguana and havalinas.

Mexico :mad: It is probably a business trip to start a UGUIDE dove hunting thing down there. Just to help you out when you get it set up I will go and try it out for you and post my review here. Of course you would comp the trip for me.

Hey Moeller, one thing I know about Mexico is it is warm in the winter but I sure approaciate the midwest a lot more after having gone there. We have great freedoms in this country.

Snorkeling is pretty amazing there though from a wildlife perspective.

Back