Great hunting north of Pierre

Riverman

Just got back from my first trip of the season and we had excellent hunting north of Pierre. We had to drive 14 hours on snow and ice-packed roads through Wyoming to get there, but it was worth it. Rain on the first day made the birds hard to find. We thought they were spending their time in standing corn. After that the rain stopped and the hunting improved. By the last day we were seeing hundreds of birds lounging in the grass on the edge of crops. We had three days of absolutely beautiful weather that makes the wait worthwhile. The central plains in the fall can be a magical place. We found the best hunting at the edge of cut wheat fields and standing sunflowers. Standing corn was the worst hunting and the dogs just spent their time running birds in circles and flushing out of range. It was only three of us hunting, and we don't do the typical pushing and blocking, so birds in corn are just a distraction for us.

Most crops were still standing and, based on the amount of water we saw, I doubt that there is going to be a record harvest this year. I wouldn't be surprised if many crops never get harvested this year at all. There was standing water everywhere and many fields we have hunted in the past were a foot deep in water.

One thing we saw that was different was the diversity of crops is much different (improved??) over past years. There is a lot more sunflowers, winter wheat, millet, sourghum, and soy beans that in years past, and in fact we killed a lot more birds in those areas than in areas with corn. I think that diversity is a good thing for the birds. Many of the birds we killed had grains other than corn in their crop.

As a side note, I took my 15 yr old lab thinking this might be her last hunt. She made several trips hunting grouse in the mountains this year but they weren't long walks and she mostly just trailed behind. I thought the same thing last year when she was 14, but she did fine for 3 trips on pheasants. I only hunted her 2-3 miles each day this trip and she certainly doesn't burn up the country like she used to. She didn't make any retrieves this year since my 2-yr old beats her to it every time, and being deaf she often doesn't even know if I shoot, but she still flushed several birds and I killed several off of her flushes. I got worried a couple times when she would wander into the corn and not return right away, but her nose still works like she was 4 yrs old and she always finds me. Am now debating whether to take her back for the second hunt before Thanksgiving. It sure is hard to leave her when she has such desire. I can't even imagine that she would still be going at 16. My 15 yr old son is going with me on the next trip so it would be nice if he could kill the last birds off of her before she moves to the great pheasant field in the beyond.

Good luck to all of you and enjoy the warm conditions of early fall--only too soon and we will have to drag out the winter clothes.

Riverman,
Thanks for sharing! Sounds like you indeed had a great tine. Those are the kinds of stories that keep us itching to get out. Congrats and hope you 2nd trip is more successful the 1st. Good luck and keep us posted!:10sign:

Sometimes crop diversity is a result of late planting conditions. Sunflowers and grain sorgum can be planted late and have a quick maturity in a late/wet planting season.
________
TOYOTA CAL-1 HISTORY

Last edited:
Great report on great hunt. Hunt a dog as long as they can hunt, do not know a hunting dog that lives for hunting, it is the best days of their life. Good idea to limit amount of time hunting for the dog. :cheers:

Great story about your lab. Sounds like you do a fine job with her. My lab is now going to be 7 in February. It's such a joy to spend time with them doing what they love to do. 15 years old and still wanting to hunt. I hope mine can do that. That's awesome.

Riverman, take your older Lab for sure-it might be the last time sorry to say. I took my almost 14 year old Golden Gretchy to SD last year and only hunted her for 1 short run but by God she flushed a bird and acted like a little puppy. My 5 year old beat her to it for the retreive but I'll never forget it and glad I was able to let her have 1 last trip. She died in my arms on 6-6-09.

Mines 15 and won't be making the trip to Ks with me

He's a better flyfishing dog now.Took him hunting once this year. I only use him to find downed birds. It's tough to let em go! :(
Mav

I'm leaving for Aberdeen on Sunday morning with a friend who has a younger choc. lab/GSP mix and Sambucca, my 14 yr. old lab as of October. I have also been weighing the task at hand with inevitable clock closing in. The vet said that he would do fine and is in great shape. We both agreed to hunt him sparingly and let him rest in the truck when he appears fatigued. Even if he didn't hunt at all, I can't imagine being out there without him. I must admit that when it's hunting time, harnessed energy seems to leep out of him and he loves it just as much as I do. I'm also hoping that the younger pup will learn the ropes from him.

Thanks for comments, especially the one about the crops that may get planted later than corn. That is a good observation. I always thought it was driven by market forces, but the spring weather having an impact makes sense. It would be nice to know the difference in profit between the various crops. Probably depends a lot on location (dry vs wet, soils, etc) as much as anything, but understanding the economics of farming is a god thing.
It would also be nice to know what the various crops are used for. For example are sunflowers just grown for oil, or is it for livestock or something else. Same thing with soy beans--it can't be for tofu. Are soybeans used for livestock or something else? And what about millet and sourgum? Whatever the reason, I think the crop diversity is probably good, at least based on the cops of birds I examined. I know during my last hunt in 2008 (Dec 30) we saw a lot of birds (sometimes thousands) in standing sunflowers and that was what they were eating. The model of pheasants just being corn eaters is not very accurate.

One thing that really helps my 15-yr old old dog is Rimadyl (carprofen 100mg). That is one amazing drug for sore dogs. When she was 11-13 I used to call it a miracle drug. I didn't, and don't, drug her up just so she can hunt, instead I use it to ease the soreness that comes from any prolonged activity. Even when she was 13 she would hunt 8+ mi/day and still be able to go the next day. You can get the generic version (novox) online and save about 25% on the ~ $1/pill cost.

I just yesterday asked the farmer whose place we hunted on what the various crops are used for. He primarily does sunflowers. Main market is for birdseed, but also used for oil and human consumption of the seeds themselves. A lot of the seeds go to Europe for human consumption. Milo is mostly used for cattle feed, but there are a few firms using it to make biodegradable packing (like the foam peanuts in the box when you buy electronics).

Sunflowers a cash crop as suggested. Sorgum feed and cash and birdfood. One guy east of Pierre raises nothing but bird food. He has birds too! Not a lot of $ in sorgum comparatively. I think that besides bird food, millet can be cut green and fed.
________
Ford fairlane (australia) specifications

Last edited:
Back