Great Hunt!

Went out one last time to the game farm again this weekend. Left my dog at home and went out with my buddy to work his 14 month old chocolate lab. To our surprise, the dog points and points well. He did not know that the dog would point as he has never displayed it in the past and is not from a pointing line. Anyone ever see that before? It was fun, I usually do not hunt behind pointers!

Isn't it really fun to hunt behind a good pointer. Now you know FEHR why us pointing breed people love about our dog's, I think I would have a real problem trying to hunt with a flusher.---Bob

Isn't it really fun to hunt behind a good pointer. Now you know FEHR why us pointing breed people love about our dog's, I think I would have a real problem trying to hunt with a flusher.---Bob

and Im the complete opposite
to each his own..

I've seen quite a few flushers 'point' planted birds. I think the amount of sent and the distance they will tolerate a dog from encourages it a bit.

Browning, I totally disagree with your "flushers are for Pheasants Pointer are for Quail statement. I have seen a lot of VERSITAL breeds, Pointing Dogs Like the Brittany. That would rather hunt Pheasant than any other bird. Quail are just something to hunt when Pheasant season isn't open. But if they come across a Pheasant while hunting Quail. The Pheasant get taken care of first.---Bob

I went to the game farm today as well and although I got my birds, the conditiond weren't ideal as far as temperature and such. Got my doggie out of the house anyway.

I guess anyday in the field beats a day of sittin on the couch!

I agree with you mike, pointers are for quail! Flushers are for pheasants!!!
What breed of dog do you hunt with Browning? Obviously you haven't hunted behind any good pointers before. I have hunted behind both at the same time and my GSP has no problem locking down the roosters while the flushers run and chase the wind. Come to Kansas for a hunt and I'll get you to change your mind....:D

Don't want to start a Ford vs Chevy type argument myself

I have raised both retreivers and pointers for many years. IMO, the nose of a a true pointing breed is far superior to a retreiver. They tend to be more athletic and can stay in the field longer than the larger framed retriever.

Although the reteiver in most cases are better multi taskers. I do have a 11 year old female shorthair who will retrieve ducks out of the water as good as any retriever. Loosing her will be a loss of monumental proportion.

As far as a dog pointing who is not from pointing stock. It can happen in just about every breed.

Good to here some are still getting out and enjoying themselves at this time of the year.

Good hunting & happy Easter everyone

Chuck

I wasn't trying to start an arguement with my comments just saying that I'd let them hunt behind a really good GSP and that might change his attitude. And I agree comparing Ford and Chevy is like comparing apples to apples, give me the hemi anyday...:D I actually had the chance to hunt on the Iowa opener 3 years ago with my buddy, his 3 friends and their 3 labs. They were flushers and not pointers, I had the only pointer in the group. They all laughed at me for hunting with a pointer and asked me why I'd waste my time with such a worthless dog. We started the hunt and by 3/4 of the way through the first field I had shot my limit, which were all birds that Kody pointed and held for me as the flushers were lost in the field chasing there tails. My buddies friends never shot one bird behind their dogs, as a matter of fact they never flushed anything and Kody was trailing them and pointed birds that they ran over. Hence my opinion on pointers vs flushers. By the end of the first field they apologized to me for making fun of my dog and actually were arguing over who got to shoot over Kody when he locked up. Makes you very proud as a pointer owner to get this compliment. Happy Easter all..:)

Back