Great Bend area

greendog120

I am taking my young Brittany Ziva to Cheyenne Bottoms area tomorrow. Should I hunt the Bottoms or WIHA's in that area?:D

A buddy from work and I and my young Brit Ziva hunted 3 days around Salina area. We harvested 16 quail. I heard a rooster day 1 when were shooting at a covey rise. No luck day 2. Day 3 got a shot at 1 rooster and seen another. Thank god for the large coveys. My young Brit had lots of fun as did I. Can't wait til were in the field this Holiday.

16 birds, not a bad day at all, and that's a lot of work for the pup. How many coveys did you see on your adventure?

Remember, the Bottoms area is non-tox for everything. Don't know if that's a factor. For some it would be.

The 16 birds were not all on opening day. We got 12 on opening day and 4 on day 3 from 4 large coveys. Several covey rises from the same coveys on separate days. We did not hurt them too bad.

Last edited:
I made it back today. We seen a bunch of hens and 2 roosters I bagged 1 rooster. I wore my dog plum out. I wonder if the hair will ever grow back on the top of her feet. We sure enjoyed the bird action even though most were hens. I hunted strictly on public land.

Good deal greendog. Hopefully you will come back when conditions are more condusiive to pheasant huntimg.

Good to meet you and your hunting buddy Greendog! Hope the birds are better on your next trip north! I'll strive to make more:)

It was nice to meet you too. I had a great time in Kansas. I appreciate all you do for your area. I'll probably see you around again sometime. I will get my license every year and continue to try and get my dog and my future pup on birds frequently. thanks

Back