Grant County pheasants?

esetter

I have an invite to hunt on some private farms in Grant County, Oklahoma. Im not sure of the exact town there but know its in Grant. Do any of you guys hunt there. How have the Pheasants and quail been in that area? Do you think it would be worth the 15 hr trip in January?
Thanks!

Only an invisible line in the soil separates Grant County, Oklahoma from south central Kansas. So what ever reports that are coming out of south central Kansas on Pheasants and Quail should apply to Grant County. Years ago a co-worker of mine was from that part Oklahoma and he said that they would frequently see pheasants and quail in that country.

KS reports are all over the place. Just didn't know what the moisture / drought situation was there. Hunted North Central KS earlier and it was the driest country I've ever seen. Thanks for the reply.

I will be heading out that way too in a couple of weeks. Just returned from SC Kansas. It was really tough. Very dry. NC Oklahoma hasn’t had much moisture either. Habitat conditions are good. There are usually decent pheasant numbers out that way. They don’t seem to have fully recovered from the drought years. That’s one hell of a drive for a two bird limit... could be pretty good and maybe worth it if you have a few guys.

Check out the Oklahoma Mesonet site. It’ll give you precipitation specifics. Most of that area has had less than a half inch of precipitation in the last 60 days. It’ll be tough on the dogs noses...

Last edited:
Hunted Central Kansas in early December. It was extremely dry and tough. Its not a 100% sure thing we are going. Hope so , I love hunting different areas. I hunted Oklahoma 11 years ago and the quail were excellent. I don't recall seeing many Pheasants where we were. Thanks a ton for the report / reply.

I have an invite to hunt on some private farms in Grant County, Oklahoma. Im not sure of the exact town there but know its in Grant. Do any of you guys hunt there. How have the Pheasants and quail been in that area? Do you think it would be worth the 15 hr trip in January?
Thanks!
Saw more Pheasant and Quail in Grant and Garfield Counties last season than I have since 05! Spotty but definitely worth it.

Attachments

• 7159DDDB-DFC0-4469-AAB9-2C8700FFCD9D.jpeg
    7159DDDB-DFC0-4469-AAB9-2C8700FFCD9D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
Just glad to see other Okies hunting both pheasant and quail. I hunt Quail in Blaine Co. and pheasant/quail in Garfield Co. at Drummond flats.

Late to the party! As Dead End said, it was a really good season last year. I hunt North of Hillsdale and saw more birds than expected due to the dry weather. Only made it out twice but limited out both times on pheasant. Not many quail seen in that area. I grew up in the Canton Lake area and parents still own land there but still not many quail there as in the past. Just got back from the Vet with my GSP for a second time getting into a porcupine. You would think he would learn and we still have a month and half till season opens.

Back