Grandpa to Grandpa

Richard

Hello, this fall I am looking for someone to hunt with west of The Cities. Our kids live in Richfield. They have a new daughter and grandma would rather stay in MN than SD. I have my own truck and dogs. I have hunted MN for 2 of the last 3 years so I have an idea where I like to hunt. Just looking for someone to ride and hunt with. I am getting to that "if I fall down" age! This thought struck home when one of my senior customers recalled his last bird hunting experience. He tripped on a branch, fell forward and reached out to catch himself, unfortunately he did. His elbow hit first then his hand went under his chin similar to leaning on a desk. This configuration forced his head back crushing three discs in his neck and paralyzing him. He was unable to use his phone. Fortunately 2 fellows with medical training were coming in for an evening bowhunt and were able to assist him in getting safely out. I plan on hunting the first week of November and probably again after Thanksgiving. We live in Michigan but are coming to babysit the last two weeks of July. Back again in September. Thanks for reading...

I plan on hunting the first week of November
Hey Richard just so you know the general deer firearms opener is on Saturday, Nov 6. I am not sure where you intend to hunt but I would at least avoid opening weekend of that especially if you have a dog for safety purposes. Deer season tends to bring out more questionable hunters than any other season IMO.

I would be interested in the post Thanksgiving hunt. I am out of Bloomington. As gimruis noted I would stay away from deer hunting season. There are a ton of people out and about that don't hunt except for those couple days a year. PM me when you have dates locked in if you are interested.

I am plan on hunting Nov 1-5. Head home after the weekend for deer season here in Michigan. Will be back for Thanksgiving so I am planning to hunt the week of November 29th as well. Three years ago I hunted that week, it was 70 degrees with wild fire warnings because of the high winds. Next year the wind chill in the morning was -20. Thanks for reaching out, Richard

I hunt SW Minnesota and I wouldn't be overly concerned about hunting during the deer season. If there are any deer hunters around they are usually out in the early morning (before pheasant hunting starts) and late afternoon. If you hunt during mid-day you will probably not see any deer hunters. Just make sure you are wearing plenty of orange in the field. In southern Minnesota deer hunting is with shotgun slugs and muzzleloaders. No high powered rifles so it's a little safer.

Agree with Dzeb ... In western MN most deer hunters are off stands and out of area by 9AM. Avoid areas with large drives (typically lots of people and vehicles assembled in an area). Respect deer hunters already there before you in the evening and move to another area. Hunt weekdays if possible.

Back