GPS Collar Availability

Quick question - Is Garmin the only company that offers a GPS dog tracking color combined with a training collar?

I know Garmin makes good stuff, but it tends to be over my head and I find myself continuously frustrated by having to re-learn my equipment each and every time I go out. I was hoping there might be other options out there besides Garmin for a combo training/GPS collar.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Dan

SportDOG makes the Tek system. I can't remember which "version" is a tracking/training combo but you could look into that. I'll tell you a little about my experience when looking for a GPS collar:

I researched both Garmin and SportDog. Lots of good reviews for Garmin with some complaints about "extras" being confusing. SportDog had a lot of complaints of the collar failing, but at least they had good customer service.

I ended up getting the Astro and I love it. I've read one section of the manual, just to link the DC40 to the Astro. Everything else I was able to figure out with common sense. My buddy has the Tek tracking/training combo. The GPS wasn't working so he sent it in and it was fixed. We then went grouse hunting. His GPS was all whacking, saying he dog was to the east but he was actually west, etc. my Astro worked the whole time.

I know it's an anecdote but I'm glad I spent a little extra for quality and dependability.

Thanks Mnaj.

I know Garmin makes good stuff, I just hate technology and if it gets complicated it makes me want to stop fooling around with it.

Is there a way to buy a Garmin training collar and then add GPS to it later?

The Alpha has a lot of features you will never use but its one heck of a product, its also a ecollar not just a locator. They have good product support.

The Tech 2 is much improved from the original one and is simpler, less expensive and they have good product support.

I use the Alpha but it obvious its not designed by hunters IMO.

Once you get the hang of either one they both will work fine.

My buddy has the new Garmin. If you can use a smartphone, you can operate it. Super easy to handle two dogs from one remote.

I have the Alpha- the GPS/Tracking is great. I find the Ecollar controls cumbersome and not to my liking. Maybe, it is just me though.

I have the Alpha- the GPS/Tracking is great. I find the Ecollar controls cumbersome and not to my liking. Maybe, it is just me though.

I just got it a week or so ago and used it last weekend for the 1st time. Do NOT like the training controls at all. Too many damn screens and I'm a tech nerd...however when out in the field it's cumbersome.

They could greatly simplify the interface and you can tell this was not designed by the folks that actually use it for its intended purpose.

I do love the fact I know where my dog is now and what she's doing. She typically is not a close worker which I like, however when the grass is more than knee high it makes it difficult for me to know where she is before this unit.

I also think they overcharged for this. If they simplified the handheld and removed all of the features you dont need or will never use, they could sell this for considerably less. However it really is one of the few options available.

Don't sweat the Alpha's extras... I bought one and love the thing. You'll figure out the basics pretty quick. ;)

Quick question - Is Garmin the only company that offers a GPS dog tracking color combined with a training collar?

I know Garmin makes good stuff, but it tends to be over my head and I find myself continuously frustrated by having to re-learn my equipment each and every time I go out. I was hoping there might be other options out there besides Garmin for a combo training/GPS collar for dogs.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Dan

of course not. PetFon, BARTUN, etc., many pet GPS trackers are doing very well, and are more compact and cheap. In the applicable situation, each GPS will be different, PetFon is suitable for cats and dogs, Garmin is more suitable for training dogs. There are also some Bluetooth trackers suitable for tracking animals with a small range of activities.

I have the Garmin Alpha. Works well for me as both a training and GPS collar. I can see it would be a bit cumbersome with multiple dogs. It has way more features than me or most of us will ever need or learn to use. If you want both a training collar and a basic GPS to locate your dog I would highly recommend the Garmin Pro 550 Plus. It's less expensive than the Alpha and uses the same collar. You can get it with the regular collar or the mini if your dog is on the smaller size. I run the mini on my Brittany.

Don’t skimp on your GPS collar off your dogs life depends on it. Here’s a little back story. 3 years ago on a cold winter day in South Dakota my pointer was working out in front of me and then vanished. She had fallen into a 7ft deep snow bank, after 15 minutes of me yelling she finally jumped enough for me to see her Orange shock collar around her white neck. I had to lay out across the snow to keep from falling in myself and pulled her out. I drove to cabelas that night and bought a GPS collar. I had never been so frightened for my dogs life before. It was about 15 degrees that day and I’m not sure how long she would have lasted waited for me to find her. Long story short, you can’t put a price tag on your best friends life. I wish everyone good hunting this year!!

I have the Garmin Alpha. Works well for me as both a training and GPS collar. I can see it would be a bit cumbersome with multiple dogs. It has way more features than me or most of us will ever need or learn to use. If you want both a training collar and a basic GPS to locate your dog I would highly recommend the Garmin Pro 550 Plus. It's less expensive than the Alpha and uses the same collar. You can get it with the regular collar or the mini if your dog is on the smaller size. I run the mini on my Brittany.
Ive thought about this quite a few times over the years. I have close working dogs but have still had a few scares in the big woods chasing grouse not in the open fields after pheasants.
1- the 550 plus doesnt come in orange?
2- doesnt mention that its compatible with 2 dogs/collars?

Up to 3 dogs
Best-in-class Dog Training System with Simple GPS Tracking
  • One-handed, no-look dog training for up to 3 dogs¹ and at-a-glance tracking with a range of more than 2 miles
  • 2.5-second update rate provides faster location tracking when your dogs are on the run
  • Customize training for each dog with 18 levels of continuous and momentary stimulation, tone and vibration settings
  • At-a-glance directional tracking on the built-in display with GPS and GLONASS satellite reception shows which direction and how far away your dogs are
  • Easy pairing and setup with TT™ 15 dog devices for training and tracking or T 5 dog devices for tracking only

I know we all love to watch our dogs run but if you're staring at a screen while you're hunting are you really watching your dogs hunt??? Just saying...

I know we all love to watch our dogs run but if you're staring at a screen while you're hunting are you really watching your dogs hunt??? Just saying...

I don't think any of us with GPS collars are walking through the field staring at the screen regardless if we're running a flusher or a pointer. Like UplandHntr said, I only look at the screen when I've lost sight of my dog and want to know where she is. Some outings I rarely have to look at the screen but I have the reassurance that I can find my dog if needed. I know GPS collars are rather expensive but it's a lot cheaper than losing your dog. A few posts above UplandBird talked about losing his dog in a snow drift and then going directly to Cabelas and buying a GPS collar. A friend of mine from Colorado came to SD a few years ago and on his way to my house stopped at large public area. His Brittany disappeared but he finally found him a few hours later. He headed right to Cabelas in Mitchell, SD and bought a GPS collar.

Saved me a nice dog. Garmin indicated point a good ways ahead, went straight to the dog, he was caught in a snare, 1 more minute he'd been gone.
Mine's in my vest pocket until I need it. I prefer two collars. Garmin is in left pocket and ecollar in right pocket.

I run an English pointer and a Brittany. Neither of them are big runners and stay within gun range, it’s nice to have the reassurance to find my dogs if it’s life depends on it. If GPS collars aren’t your thing. There are company’s like DT Systems that make collars with “Beep” mode. No, the beep doesn’t have to stay on all the time. It’s as simple as a push of a button on the controller and the dogs collar will beep and it can be heard for a few hundred yards (less with high winds). I actually own these collars also, the controller offers “beep,vibrate,nick,continuous” so you can choose your options based on how big of a runner your dog is.

Back