Governor Noem writes about her hunting dog

mutthunt

Politics aside, she seems like a person who doesn't know the first thing about hunting dogs.

She took a 14 month old GWP on a hunting trip hoping it would "learn from the older dogs." Surprise, surprise, it didn't and ruined a hunt. On the way home from said trip, she let the dog get loose and it killed some chickens, then bit her when she tried to get the dog. So she took the dog home and shot it.

I really have to question the intelligence of bragging about this (she chose to include this in her book) when her state's big source of tourism is from folks bringing their dogs to hunt pheasants.

Article below:

Governor Noem talks about shooting her hunting dog

Last edited:
Wow, I thought that was just a story that the media dredged up.

Interesting how a Minnesota dog trainer gets arrested for killing a hard-to-train dog, but a Governor does essentially the same thing with no repercussions.
I'm not giving her a pass on this, but killing a clients dog and killing your own dog are very different circumstances.

I'm also not familiar with SD animal cruelty law, but I'd guess they are more lax than MN.

Incredibly sad that Biden is even allowed to be the nominee. No matter since I have never voted on that side of the ballot anyways.

I cannot imagine being 18 - 21 and this is your first Presidential election that you can vote in.

The setting was rural SD with rural needs. My read is that the dog killing a neighbor's chicken and biting her were the reasons it was killed. I consider those to be sufficient reasons. One thing Noem made clear is that she very much came up in the rural life.

Last edited:
I was pretty pissed when I read this. It probably was a stupid and cruel thing to do. Is she a narcissist? Probably, most politicians are. I've been around GWP's for a long time and have seen a few aggressive ones toward people and a lot towards other animals. I'm hoping the dog was aggressive and it was not the first time it had bit someone. Either way how stupid would it be to put it in a book in this day and age. I'm taking down my poster of her:cry:

Pretty disheartening, especially for someone who generally supports her. She claims her ability to carry this out shows she's capable of making tough decisions. WTF? First set the dog up to fail in multiple situations. Then kill it when it succeeds every time? C'mon man. An example of one poor decision after another.

I was pretty pissed when I read this. It probably was a stupid and cruel thing to do. Is she a narcissist? Probably, most politicians are. I've been around GWP's for a long time and have seen a few aggressive ones toward people and a lot towards other animals. I'm hoping the dog was aggressive and it was not the first time it had bit someone. Either way how stupid would it be to put it in a book in this day and age. I'm taking down my poster of her:cry:
I don’t what’s scarier that or you having a poster of her😂

I know a lot of people will cry about killing farm animals (while they eat their fried chicken and double cheeseburgers), but it is a fact of life that for a plethora of reasons animals need to be put down.

And if she had said, the dog bit me so it had to go, I'd still question it but not nearly as harshly.

But it sure sounds like she got a high prey drive GWP (is there a low prey drive GWP?) and when she couldn't handle it her solution was to kill it. That's messed up.

Then she brags about it.

I dont believe half the shit that comes out of her mouth. Seems like every thing she says or does lately is because she thinks “this will get me that VP spot”.

Politics aside, every person on this forum has dogs with their desired traits due to heavy culling in the beginning of individual breed development. Not saying what she did was the right thing to do, but everyone is kind of turning a blind eye to how you have what is in your kennel or home has came to be.

Back