Got the deer--Back to birds!

KBell

My son and I worked very hard to complete our shotgun harvest this season. Buck only in the counties we hunt and saw quite a few spikes this year. Did not see an abundance of does.:(
My 10 point deer was wounded previously and I felt good about harvesting him. He would not have survived the previous wounds.

My son's 11 point deer weighed a measly 274 pounds and we walked seven miles of public to harvest him. He took two core-lok slugs to the chest and still managed to travel a quarter mile before bedding down. We watched him through the binocs for an hour before he relinquished. He had at least a half bushel of corn in his belly. Truly a corn fed giant!:)

I will be back after the birds once a trip to the locker is complete. Saw many pheasants in the northwest counties during our 5 day deer hunt.

Last edited:
KBell, what do you use to haul deer out when hunting on public? especially a hog like that. I use a sled and seems to work pretty well.

Hello Pheasantaddict,

I believe his father is smarter as his buck was 100 yds from the road!:D His deer was of course in the middle of a section.

Look up deer cart or deer cart hauler on Google. We have used one of these for several years now and it works great!:) Search Ebay and you can pick up a used one for cheap.

Deer loin and pheasant for dinner tonight!:) Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Man O' man, some of you guys are having a good year out there. Enjoy those venison steaks!

Last edited:
Wow, that buck is huge! Nice work finding, hitting, and tracking him down.
I'd say the freezer is full.

Let us know how many pounds of meat came out of him, will you?

I think, in primitive cultures, we'd have to make your son King. :D

Last edited:
Our son is back to his bow! He saw two shooters yesterday while sitting in the on and off rain!

If his freak nasty broadhead finds another one like he did during shotgun season he certainly has earned it!:)

Hope this message finds you skinning your muzzleloader buck! Good luck!

Hey Kismet

The locker confirmed that we had 179 pounds of venison from our son's deer. This still included bones in the rear hams and front shoulders. The hide, upper neck and head were obviously missing. I have only witnessed one other deer in my hunting time that had rear hams as big as this guy.

Back