Good

wesslpointer

Does any one have a "GOOD" reason that dove season does not open on August 15. in the northern states. In Idaho the dove's are bunching up getting ready to leave in the next few weeks. :mad:

Last edited:
Because you guys would get them all spooky before they got to me.:D I really have no good reason. Good luck, I hope enough stick around to keep your barrels hot.:thumbsup:

I live down here in South Florida and I have been seeing increasing numbers of morning doves in large groups. They are apparently migrating from somewhere "up North". It is also a sign of a bad winter coming.

crossing my fingers that we dont get bad storms, for the rest of this month,like last year. It cleared all of the mature white wing out of the state. come on Sept 1st. :D

crossing my fingers that we dont get bad storms, for the rest of this month,like last year. It cleared all of the mature white wing out of the state. come on Sept 1st. :D
The same in Idaho we raise them so they can be shot in Mexico :mad: This shows the disconnect between the biologist's that run Idf&g and the sportsman that pay there salaries There is no good reason why the dove season does not open Aug !5. In northern states.

Doves are covered under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, thus regulated by USFWS rules and regs.

Any loosening of the start date would need to be approved by the US (and Canada and Mexico). States could make a proposal, but this is highly unlikely since most Northern states view dove hunting as a "fringe" sport. In many Southern states it is a core activity with split seasons, leases and plantings designed to attract and hold doves for hunters. Southern states probably have no interest in an earlier date ... most changes in Migratory Bird hunting (ducks, geese, others) initiate in the South and spread northward. Often it is the Northern States that resist change (more conservative approach).

I run into large numbers if doves into December even with snow in the ground here in Wi.

They act way different than early sept. but they don't all migrant early.

Mallards and Canada Geese fall into that same category. Most migrate, always a few that tough it out.

Some winters our evergreens and the neighbors can hold 2-3 dozen doves. Good thermal cover coupled with adequate food and some will stay.

I live down here in South Florida and I have been seeing increasing numbers of morning doves in large groups. They are apparently migrating from somewhere "up North". It is also a sign of a bad winter coming.

they damn sure ain't coming from Texas, it's so hot down here you could fry an egg on the sidewalk!

I am seeing flocks of 50-100 birds flying south at this time. I t does not look good for white-wings this year. THe forecast is for storms all this week.:mad:

Mallards and Canada Geese fall into that same category. Most migrate, always a few that tough it out.

Some winters our evergreens and the neighbors can hold 2-3 dozen doves. Good thermal cover coupled with adequate food and some will stay.

I'm not talking about a few dozen. I'm talking about seeing bigger flocks in November and December than in September here in Wi. There was even talk of us getting a second season to hunt them during that time period. Not saying every area is like that but in this Northern state we always have plenty around even beyond the season.

We have a split season; Sept 1-15 and second weekend of Nov for 40 days or so, I'm not exactly sure because it's during pheasant season. 15 bird limit of mourning dove and/or whitewings (there are no whitewings this far north) with a 45 bird possession limit, collared doves are now open season with no bag limit. What are your guys state regs like?

We have a split season; Sept 1-15 and second weekend of Nov for 40 days or so, I'm not exactly sure because it's during pheasant season. 15 bird limit of mourning dove and/or whitewings (there are no whitewings this far north) with a 45 bird possession limit, collared doves are now open season with no bag limit. What are your guys state regs like?

about the same here robert.:)

Back