Good Day - but the snakes are still out!

I have been busy with other things and haven't been out since the opener. I got to my best Hun spot only to find out it is now a safety zone as they are building a farmstead there. Oh well, I went to the back-up spot and within a 1/2 mile of the truck, I saw a very large rattlesnake before it crawled into the rocks.

The dog and I did find a covey after lots of walking and we killed a pair. While trying to find the single we flushed another covey. We ended up with 7 birds with 8 shells. The custom fitted stock seems to be helping the shooting average. Both coveys were a dozen plus, a good sign for sure. It was way to hot when we finished, but a good day none the less. :D

I have photos but am having trouble with the upload.

BC

That sounded like a good day to me. You could lay low till them snakes hibernate. Have a great season this year!

I went out this morning and just about stepped on one myself. No warning or nothing, just laying there in knee high grass. Glad I found him before the dog did.

I've had my Lab, Morgan, to a snake avoidance class but don't know if it worked or how much she remembers in the two years that have passed. Not excited about showing her a snake to find out.
B C, that stock sounds pretty perfect.

I had my dog snake broke this summer but I didn't want to see if it worked or not. I just hope it did as I'm sure there will come a time when he'll come across one before I see it.

Mine has been to snake breaking and last year did a great job of avoiding one that was buzzing. Not sure what happens if the dog comes in upwind and the snake doesn't buzz... I have seen two this year that wouldn't buzz.

One order of cold weather, please! :cheers:

I had Gus vaccinated with the Red Rock rattle snake vaccine but fortunately we never needed it tested. Yearly up date on it so if you get this for your dog make sure you get the yearly up date.

Got two snakes yesterday, both on the road on the way out. Brought the dog out on the second one. While my brother threw rocks at him to rile him up, the dog and I walked around him. Cody didn't want to have anything to do with that snake. Made me feel good to know that the snake breaking worked.

I saw a big one on a 2 track, it was cool out but sunny.
Dang things!

I have hunted several years in Montana, always in Sept and I have never seen a rattlesnake. I get the dogs the vaccine to be prepared. Where are the snakes found and what times are they out. I don't want to see one but I am just wondering if I am even in snake country.
MM

Snakes seem to like the more natural stuff. Cow pastures, grasslands with rocky outcrops, hillsides stuff like that.
Cut hayfields to, especially if there's grassy, rocky hillsides nearby.
Sunny areas during cooler weather, shade during hot weather.

Don't mean to sound dumb or anything but what kind of rattlers are they??? Diamond backs, Prairie Rattlers, Sidewinders? I was told once to stay away from cool places when its hot and hot places when its cool, esp want to stay away from prairie dog colonies.:mad:

Back