Golden Retriever Training

cyclonenation10

I've worked with my goldens for several years, and always ended up with pretty good bird dogs, and even better companions. I will be getting another puppy in the next month here, and really want to take the training "serious" with this one. My other dogs all listen, they stay close, but most of the "training" has been done in the field, letting them figure it out on their own. I'm able to get out 40-50x a season, so this has always worked for "good" dogs, but I want this one to be great.

Any specific references, books, articles, programs, etc., that you would recommend, or really any general input for training (whether it be hunting specific, or even potty training, etc.).

Check out Standing Stone Kennels on youtube. Lots of great training videos from starting to finishing a good bird dog. Very informative and interesting to watch.

Tim Springer from Dynamic Retrievers has a DIY program. You send videos to him weekly of your progress and he gives you pointers and tips on what to work on next and how to handle difficult issues with your dog. I have seen a guy work through the program and trained an awesome dog! Tim has trained a few of my dogs and a few of my puppies I have sold to clients. They all are very happy with the results.

Back