Golden Retriever Pup

Hunter1971

Does anyone have a lead on a liter of Golden Retriever pups?

My Fiance's favorite dog all time was a Golden Retriever named Murphy, she loved him soooo much, but he passed from cancer at the young age of 8 years old and it broke her heart! She had him creamated and his little box and colar sit next to our bed on her side ever since we met and has been there ever since he passed! I know I'm way late, but me and her daughter want to get her new and healthy Golden Retriver for Christmas!! :thumbsup:

Any help would be much appreciated! :cheers::cheers:

P.S. Besides her memories.... lol...... Andy, my English Setter pup needs a bud!!:D The new addition will be very much loved and very well taken care of!!! :thumbsup:

Thanks in advance for any help! :10sign:

Really? Golden Retrievers are about a dime a dozen and I can't find anything under $600..... Crazy! Any help would be much appreciated! :thumbsup: I don't want a mutt but we don't need a show dog! :D

You looking for a field Golden or a family pet?

I ask this with sincerety, Can't you get both in one dog? I am considering an addition to the family, a Lab pup, and it is becoming more difficult, like darn near impossible, to find a pup whith show, hunt, and couch potato companion background. I had considered Goldens as an option. Had hoped the difference was not so pronounced.

I ask this with sincerety, Can't you get both in one dog? I am considering an addition to the family, a Lab pup, and it is becoming more difficult, like darn near impossible, to find a pup whith show, hunt, and couch potato companion background. I had considered Goldens as an option. Had hoped the difference was not so pronounced.

There is a difference between the two in both goldens and labs. You can find a good temperment, birdy, sociable, good looking, pedigree from field/hunting lines.

I think there is a misconception that field/hunt lines in goldens and labs are all wild and hyper. I disagree, it comes down to the lineage/pedigree of the pup you are looking at.

I have had labs now for almost 20yrs and I know what I am looking for in a pup. I have my own method, I know the pedigrees of labs, the color I like, the build, the temperment, all of that. I do my research thoroughly.

I also do not agree that you have to pay over $1000 for a good pup. Now, you do get what you pay for. Goldens and labs are known to have caninie hip problems, eye problems (PRA), elbows, and sometimes hearing. It is a good think to get a health guarantee from the breeder for the eyes, hips, health of the pup for at least 24months. While there is nothing 100%, it is better than nothing.

Also ask the breeder what they do if you get a pup from them and something is wrong with the pup....do they take the pup back, give you your money, replacement pup from another litter, do they put the pup down? Can you keep the pup, have he/she fixed so as not to further pollute the breed?

Any of the retriever breeds are going to have the "back yard breeders", show breeders, field trialers, hunt tests, and just plain old hunting dogs......do your homework.

My dogs are a part of my family. I put alot of emotion, time, money, energy, sweat, blood and tears. I want my dogs to live as long as they can and enjoy them and the time I can spend with them. It is more than buying a car or even a house.

Good luck, take care and let us know,

Greg

RE Goldens

Hunter 1971
I have had my Golden Cody for four years.As a pup of seven weeks brought him home and played with pheasant wings when ever possible. Made it a fun time.Worked with him and wings tied onto a bumper. But didn't have all the time to spend training that I wanted.
First year out in NE Colorado at nine months hunted around Holyoke. He had to have a few birds down before he figured it out.
Now I am extremely happy with him after several seasons.
Has made a great hunting companion with a heck of a nose. Also the best buddy around the house you could ask for.
I would not hesitate to get another golden in the future.
Had to buy Cody an E collar after the first couple of seasons.
Made a big difference with control issues and staying off the ice.

Best of luck!
Ragin Rooster.

Thanks for the info! Yea, I still have not found one. I think I'm going to give my Fiancee a card with a note explaining that we are expecting a new addition to our family and then find the pup together! :thumbsup:

I'm looking for a family pet in general seen as I already have my setter, but I will also proably drag him along with me and my dog bird hunting and maybe train him for waterfowl, but he will be her dog, so whatever we do she needs to be part if it!:cheers:

Back