Golden retriever hair/fur product

scottheitkamp

I have a golden retriever that has somewhat long hair (photo attached), and he comes back pretty mangy and matted after a day of hunting. Does anyone have recommendations for a spray or product that would reduce the stuff that gets stuck in his hair and becomes matted? My wife is getting sick of picking stuff out of his hair, so I'd like to try and find something. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_6234.jpg
    IMG_6234.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 11
I use Mane ‘n Tail Detangler on my Brittany. It makes the burrs and the “stick tights” easier to remove with a brush. It is not a fail safe solution. But it does assist in remove the items tangled in the fur.
IMG_1726.jpeg

The dog needs that hair coat for protection, so trimmed never shaved. You will learn to avoid certain areas.

I've hunted Goldens since the 90s. I just groomed mine for the early season. I thin out and shear the buttocks/tail area as it's prone to gathering sticks/burrs. I trim the hair underneath the entire undercarriage including the rear legs; trim/thin the leg feathers...all four as well as their manes. I've also found that a skid plate helps deflect a lot of burrs. Mine have taken to wearing theirs better than I thought. Cowboy Magic detangler helps. Probably similar to the Straight Arrow product already shown above.

I used to spray PAM on them before I started, but found the detangler that some recommended works just as well. I wouldn't shave them as we mostly hunt when it's colder and there is snow.

I've hunted Goldens since the 90s. I just groomed mine for the early season. I thin out and shear the buttocks/tail area as it's prone to gathering sticks/burrs. I trim the hair underneath the entire undercarriage including the rear legs; trim/thin the leg feathers...all four as well as their manes. I've also found that a skid plate helps deflect a lot of burrs. Mine have taken to wearing theirs better than I thought. Cowboy Magic detangler helps. Probably similar to the Straight Arrow product already shown above.
I'll second G&G trimming procedure. It helps, but burr gathering is very typical and usually 45 minutes of grooming, after a day of hunting. I use hair conditioner, diluted with water, in a spray bottle. The matted weeds are almost impossible to remove get shaved.

Heres a tip passed onto me from a former Springer owner that ive used quite a bit. The cheapo flat plastic letter openers work pretty good for cutting out burrs while taking minimum hair. The ones that have a plastic point with a blade on the inside. You can get a few for 5 bucks or so on Amazon

I'm sure he thinks it's a trick and not a treat, but if there is food involved it's OK. Must be in Kansas, Dorothy.

Cowboy magic!!!!
Grab a rubber glove and rub down your pup. Works awesome. Burrs sweep out with a brush.
I’ve been using it on my 2 goldens for years.

Attachments

• IMG_2108.png
    IMG_2108.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
Thanks Joel. I'm out in far western MN and just got done brushing and trimming the Goldens. I always love that part of the day. The dogs work so hard and it's the least I can do for them. Never shave them.

P.S. they made some great retrieves as always

Attachments

• 20231027_151538.jpg
    20231027_151538.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
Back