Gold Meadows tomorrow

GPowers

I'm heading up to hunt at Gold Meadows in the morning, start hunting around 9a.m. Is anyone open and want to shot some birds? I'm putting out 6 and can get more if needed. I have a 2 year old Golden, she is all business when hunting and doesnt seem to care about hunting with other dogs, if you have one. Just trying to keep the dog on birds as much as I can!;)

Man I could have used another guy! My dog put up 9 birds and I was using the new auto I got my son..... I couldnt hit a barn with that gun today! Shot the 1st 3 like it was nothing, then I couldnt hit a bird. It was very windy but still. I felt so bad for my girl, she worked so hard and just looked at like "Hey, what the heck was that?"

:eek:

Got my Lab in the field for the very 1st time (4 months).... she might just be a good one!:D

They do have some of the largest roosters I have ever seen. Not sure what they feed them but they are big and get up very nice. Heading back soon, need to do some dog work after she (dog) hunted SD for the 1st time. :(

what happened in sd?:confused:

She chased open range birds and wouldnt listen. She just turned 2 years old and had never seen or hunted with that many birds. So I need to start over and get her a stronger collar and get her turned off the "chase" and just push runners.
She has never hunted in such short cover, too used to birds tucked in heavy stuff and ones that hold tighter. Nor has she ever hunted a long line of 6-8 guys....But she didnt listen to commands and thats gonna get corrected!:thumbsup:

GPowers,
I had the same problem with my soon to be 2 year old BLF. I hit the heavy cattails and that seemed to help, but if a running rooster got out of the tails and turned on the afterburners so did she. I am also investing in a new "hearing aid". You ever hit any of the closer game preserves?

GPowers,
I had the same problem with my soon to be 2 year old BLF. I hit the heavy cattails and that seemed to help, but if a running rooster got out of the tails and turned on the afterburners so did she. I am also investing in a new "hearing aid". You ever hit any of the closer game preserves?

I will hunt anywhere and anytime!:D

I have a new Lab that I need to get some work in on... plus my Golden! Now that I know what it's like and what I need them to do, should be easier to train for SD.

it will happen. i think as long as you dont shoot at the birds the dog is chasing they will learn there is no benefit to the chase. call the dog back, praise him for returning and continue hunting in the opposite direction the bird went. If there is no retrieve after a wild flush there is no reward for chasing.

My golden (2 yr) is starting to get the idea of chasing - rabbits and squirrels in the yard. Every time he chases he gets the juice - this correction starts in the yard and continues in the field.

I find correcting in corn or sorghum fields very frustrating. The dog knows when he's out of your sight and the chase begins. I keep him out of corn until the end of the field, this seems to help rein in the strong prey drive.

If these were pointing dogs, you would teach them to whoa. Do the same only instead of standing have them sit. Decided what your command to "whoa" is and use and reinforce every time. By teaching this, you take the chase out and you will have better control. Don't train around birds. They must know it in the yard.

If these were pointing dogs, you would teach them to whoa. Do the same only instead of standing have them sit. Decided what your command to "whoa" is and use and reinforce every time. By teaching this, you take the chase out and you will have better control. Don't train around birds. They must know it in the yard.

I agree. Obediance training is taught at home not in the field. I walk mine 3-4 times a week, collar is always on and we work while walking. I just got back from seven hard days of hunting in SD and used the tone on the collar exclusively. My dog has as extreme of a prey drive as I have ever seen, and we saw a ton of birds. I think i buzzed him once very mildly for a adjustment. It takes quite a bit of effort but it is nice to have that control. I only used my whistle a couple times, and that was for a direction change while retrieving.

Ps. I have seen far better dogs than mine go crazy in a slough full of pheasants in SD. It makes me kinda crazy too

Last edited:
I agree. Obediance training is taught at home not in the field. I walk mine 3-4 times a week, collar is always on and we work while walking. I just got back from seven hard days of hunting in SD and used the tone on the collar exclusively. My dog has as extreme of a prey drive as I have ever seen, and we saw a ton of birds. I think i buzzed him once very mildly for a adjustment. It takes quite a bit of effort but it is nice to have that control. I only used my whistle a couple times, and that was for a direction change while retrieving.

Here's your cookie:thumbsup:

11/14/12

Well I went back yesterday and we shot all our birds. Had a buddy that did a lot of the shooting, as I was more interested in dog work. 3 weeks of work has done wonders, my Golden is now trained on the remote "beeper" to turn back... she did very well and never needed a correction.
Took the little one also...she was having a blast! Sami (my Golden) caught a hen and broke a leg...we used that one for Amber (my Red Lab) and she was one happy puppy. She is only 5 months, but she flushed her 1st bird...:thumbsup:
She was a little freaked out about retreiving a soft live bird... but that ended quickly, my buddy was super impressed with both....

I'm so happy my hard work on them is paying off. It is nice to have some time to work them, finally.

Hunted S.D with my Golden again 2 weeks ago.... she worked great and seems to be cured of chasing!

Cant wait to go again! Plus S.D at least twice more. They are going to get a chance at the very least 100 more birds. I plan on keeping them busy hunting and learning with live birds..

Should be fun in coming years!

Back