Gobsmacked on public land!!!

Bob Peters

Gobsmacked-overwhelmed with wonder, surprise, or shock : ASTOUNDED

I got a vacation day and of course chasing roosters was right at the top of my list. I loaded up and drove to a public spot I've known about forever but never tried. I took the dirt road and there was a truck in the state parking lot. I continued on, not wanting to horn in on anybody. A ways down the road there's another state parking lot, it was empty, in I went. I was preparing quietly as I could, gun out on top of case, vest on, the whole bit, all I had left to do was let the dogs out and get the e-collars on. I hear an old clunker diesel pickup slow rolling down the road. I look, red with a wooden bed and gates all round. It pulls right into the lot and parks, I figured maybe it was a maintenance vehicle pulling in to do some work on the land. Off goes the engine which had been clattering like an old pair of dentures. Out jumps Johnny on the spot, orange vest and hat on, door flung wide open, dog in the passenger seat. Is your dog out? No I said. I've got two but they're in the truck. He motions the Weimaraner out of his truck and grabs an old shotgun from behind his seat. Turning to walk into the field with his dog, my mouth was agape. Then he turns, and happy as a clam exclaims Merry Christmas! I replied in turn, my internal processor still unable to comprehend the situation. I don't think this guy was being rude, he was just completely oblivious. Never a dull moment....

Happens quite often in Minnesota on public areas known to hold birds. Common courtesy is not there like it uses to be.

Unfortunately, Minnesotans are known for this and it has been this way for decades and decades ... some carry that behavior out to other states they visit.

Hey he did ask if your dogs were out ... kudos for that !

Last edited:
That’s pretty brazen. In the parking lot
I ran into somebody the other day. I was about 3/4 of a mile from the truck he about a 1/4 from his. Looked like we were headed to the same spot so I had to break off . I watched him for a while fingers crossed but he kept going. It sucks when that happens, I should have got it right, he only walked a third as far🤣

You handled it the right way. Ive never ran into this exact situation. I have had deer hunters stop and ask if we cared if they sat on the opposite side of the section in case we pushed something out. It wasn't my favorite idea but they were cool about it. This guy you delt with didn't give a F.

I would agree with Bob - he had no clue because for many Minnesotans it is not a breach in hunting etiquette ... it is status quo.

It's a Minnesota thing??

I never experienced it in ND when I grew up and it almost still never occurs out there for pheasant hunting. If it did happen it was about 85% blue platers and 15% dairyland platers that infringed on us.

It has really not happened to me on public land in KS, SD, ND, or WI ... To be honest on weekdays in MN ... has not happened either ... but on a weekend ... watch out.

In ND field hunting geese would be the most competitive hunting activity. It used to be that if you were there first, the other trucks would turn around at the approach and find their next option. On a rare occasion a truck might drive out and talk with you and set up in the same field ... not a big deal if it was a full section. On a very rare occasion someone will set up in your flight path. There were ways to deal with that.

I have had this happen more times than I like. Typically they come from a southern Midwestern state. When I see that state tag, I try and move away numerous miles from them. It always happens from that state.

I have had this happen more times than I like. Typically they come from a southern Midwestern state. When I see that state tag, I try and move away numerous miles from them. It always happens from that state.
Dying to know what state that is! ;)

We have trouble with some Michigan guys here in Iowa. Seems they are around every year and will roll in at 7:30-7:45 when most of the trucks are readied up and waiting in line to head off, and they let everyone know that they drove 10 hours so they are hunting this field too. Then they cut to the front of the line and take off at 7:55 wearing green/brown with beat up orange hats.

How they still have tires/windows after several years of this, I have no idea. I just shake my head and head off in a different direction when its my turn.

I think it’s somewhat common when out of state sportsman are involved. Go to a Minnesota fishing site and you would see similar comments around people from Iowa, the dakotas as well as Wisconsin coming to fish in Minnesota.
You may be right. I have had them come up to us in our parked suv as we are getting out of it, and get out and take off right in front of us. As I get older my patience for rudeness is very short. With that being said I try and hunt areas that are very hard to get to, so my exposure is very limited to those type hunters.

Iowans (that I have met) ... all nice, but they sure seem to keep every damn fish they catch :mad:

Years ago I was in a fish cleaning house. I was cleaning a pair of 15.5 inch walleyes ... guy from Iowa comes in and starts cleaning a dozen 10 - 11 inch walleye all the while complaining about the size of the fish in the lake. Countless stories on potato chip sized sunfish.

Back