Gloves

nrhpilot

I just read a post on uninsulated vs insulated boots, which got me curious on what sort of gloves everyone wears. My fingers are the first thing to get cold and I'm sure my glove choice could be much better. So, what do you all suggest for warmth/ flexibility / grip??

Me too, I started wearing a wool glove with the nubs on them for grip. If it's bitter cold I wear an under armour glove inside them.

I don't remember, its like 105*F out today :)

I generally wear some deer skin gloves, and if it is really cold I where liners in them.

used to go up to Minn quite a bit- as long as I'm moving tight fitting non insulated deerskin gloves always did the job- standing arround or sitting on stand for long periods- heavy wool mitts- even those weren't enough some times:)

can get pretty cold with the wind down here sometimes during the season- found that even wet deerskin has some good points- nothing wrong with keeping your hands in pockets or out of the cold- even known of a few who'd put slings on their guns

never really cared for bulky goves- so I don't stand arround much

Fabric Gloves

I can't feel the trigger properly in anything but fabric gloves, and they are as warm as a pair of insulated leather "shooting" gloves I once bought. When I wore the leather gloves, I sometimes discharged my gun earlier than I intended. Not a good thing. The fabric gloves that have some sort of grip enhancing coating on the palm side work best for me.

Ridge Reaper

I bought a pair of Under Armour Ridge Reaper gloves last year. They worked great last season and I should be able to get them through this season. I wore them walking fields for pheasants and standing in the North Dakota potholes for ducks. They kept my hands warm.

What I really liked about them is that the palm is grippy and they fit tight enough so you can reload without having to take a glove off.

I bought a pair of Under Armour Ridge Reaper gloves last year. They worked great last season and I should be able to get them through this season. I wore them walking fields for pheasants and standing in the North Dakota potholes for ducks. They kept my hands warm.

What I really liked about them is that the palm is grippy and they fit tight enough so you can reload without having to take a glove off.

What I've got now are some camo fabric grippy gloves that I picked up at walmart (el-cheapo). May have to look into the ones you have. I do like the tight fit. Thanks for the suggestion!

I seldom wear gloves unless it gets really cold, and then it's just a pair of cheap brown jersey gloves. Odd thing is I've got about a 3 to 1 ratio going of lefts compared to rights in my vest, someday they'll all turn up!

I only use gloves when it is super cold out. I have the insulated mittens that have the flap that covers all my fingers. I end up putting hand warmers in the palms of both gloves. And also in both of the mitten covers of the fingers. It works really well and if my hands get cold while shooting or walking. It does not take long for them to warm up with the hand warmers. And with my palm always being warm it helps the blood flowing to my fingers stay warm before it gets there.

I buy insulated deer skin gloves and cut a slit in the index finger. I get surprisingly good access to the trigger that way. Not my idea, I read it in Datus Proper's book, "Pheasants of the Mind." He claimed he had no problem operating a double trigger side by side that way.

i use underarmor liners untill it gets real nasty and then add wool gloves with the finger tips cut off, and i carry several pairs and swich them out as needed

I bought some Whitewater turkey hunting gloves several years ago and they are my favorite. Palm side of glove and sides of fingers are all a suede leather that gives a good grip, back is a stretchy synthetic material. They're tight enough and thin enough for good dexterity. Uninsulated, I'll wear them when its above 30 degrees.

Under 30 degrees I've got a variety of Walls and Rocky cheap insulated glove I picked up on clearance at Wal-Mart for $4 each, I bought a dozen pairs probably, they work just fine.

My favorites was a pair of waxed canvas insulated gloves with the Quail Unlimited logo on them. Just the right amount of insulation to wear in the under 30 temps if I was walking, and still had good dexterity. Of course I lost one and can't find any replacements that were the same.

I wear gore tex insulated kangaroo leather gloves from Cabela's when it is cold. Otherwise just a light leather glove.

Back