Gloves

FootJoy winter golf gloves. They work great for me, I even wear them duck hunting.

I wear a pair of First Lite Merino Wool gloves. With the finger tips cut off (they come like that). My Browning has the rubber-ish stock on it and those gloves grip my gun like crazy. Can't say how they grip a wood stock. But I like em just fine.

I wear a pair of First Lite Merino Wool gloves. With the finger tips cut off (they come like that). My Browning has the rubber-ish stock on it and those gloves grip my gun like crazy. Can't say how they grip a wood stock. But I like em just fine.
I have those as well and they're solid.. No issues gripping a wood stock.

What kind of gloves is the general recommendation? I am think about the Orvis upland gloves.
I purchased the Orvis Upland gloves and the Orvis cold weather gloves this season. Now don't get me wrong they are crazy expensive for gloves, $98 for the upland gloves and $119 for the cold weather gloves but they have been nothing short of incredible this season! I have hands that get cold even at 30 degrees and these gloves are amazing!! Well worth the $$ they cost in my opinion.

Orvis has the upland gloves 25% off right now. Your guys review of them is tempting me to tell my wife id like a pair for christmas. Just have a hard time justifying $70 for a pair of gloves.

Sitka upland gloves are surprisingly warm. They are very thin and waterproof. I know a lot of people rip on Sitka but it is really well made stufff. Don’t pay retail, wait for a sale or find a prostaffer

I like the Mechanix gloves that I get at Menards. Warm enough for pheasant hunting and they give good trigger control. $15

Last edited:
Sitka upland gloves are surprisingly warm. They are very thin and waterproof. I know a lot of people rip on Sitka but it is really well made stufff. Don’t pay retail, wait for a sale or find a prostaffer
When you say find a pro staffer, what do you mean by that?

I wear the Army issue wool gloves. I wear the glove liners if not too cold. Very cold I put on wool gloves over the liners. These are cheap in Army Surplus stores. Downside they wear out quickly, but very warm. doesn't matter if they get wet either.

Birdman

When it gets cold I switch to Mountain Made Cold Weather Gloves. Absolutely the best combination of warmth, waterproof, thin & snug enough to easily operate safeties and access the trigger, & all day comfort. For top end cold weather gloves they are pretty reasonable, around $27.00 a pair on Amazon...
Out of curiosity, I purchased a pair of the Mountain Made gloves to compare to the Striker Second Skin. Today, I wore both on a 11 degree day (-10 below with the wind chill). Striker wins the comfortable and have a little more dexterity but both are very good shooting gloves. MM allowed me to access my cell phone without taking gloves off. MM wins on durability and has a slight edge on warmth. My hands sweat a lot so gloves get wet easily. The MM withstood the frosted over cattails keeping the hands drier. MM gloves dry out quicker could dry on the dash of the truck. Striker gloves once wet are just that and it will need to dry overnight. It seems to me that once insides are wet, the Striker still has a little more warmth. Striker fit a little more true to size while the MM were bigger for me. I ordered an XL and will order a L next time. Both are excellent hunting gloves and got a good test this weekend with the cold and wind. I always carry several pairs so will continue to compare the next few weeks. Great recommendation Labs!

When you say find a pro staffer, what do you mean by that?
Seems like any kid that shoots his first duck in October becomes a pro staff member by November and they are always happy to give you their 45% discount.

Seems like any kid that shoots his first duck in October becomes a pro staff member by November and they are always happy to give you their 45% discount.
I wish I knew any pro staffers haha I had something else in my mind when you mentioned that initially

I have a problem with feeling my trigger when I wear gloves, It just feels funny so I did wear any for years and then I had a idea why not try something thin like when im golfing and bingo that was it,but finding a left and a right golfing glove can be hard and exspensive so I now use batting gloves they are great and last me a couple years, I not only use them for hunting but for shooting trap, skeet and sporting clays

Have been using batting gloves for years, bought them at Dick's. However, they are way too thin for winter hunting, at least for me.

Back