Giblets and Jibblets

Bob Peters

I'm just wondering what you guys generally do with the giblets? My uncle showed me how he cleans a pheasant the other day and he told me to save the heart it's really good. He also said to keep the gizzard. What do you do and any cooking tips?

I'm just wondering what you guys generally do with the giblets? My uncle showed me how he cleans a pheasant the other day and he told me to save the heart it's really good. He also said to keep the gizzard. What do you do and any cooking tips?
I can't speak first hand as I don't eat innards haha but check out some stuff Steve Rinella has for recipes/ways to cook gizzards, heart, etc. He went through explaining how to cook it but I just can't remember off hand.

Here's a link to a recipe Steve Rinella has for hearts and gizzards.

If I clean the birds same day I save hearts and livers. If I hang them I usually don’t.
As for cooking I either fry or grill and they are yummy either way.

I'll give you all mine, you can pay me back with rooster breasts, back straps, or walleye fillets...

As a kid, they went in with everything else, the heart was OK, the gizz was like crewing an intertube, pretty rubbery. I don't keep them today...might throw the buddy's dog a liver.

I keep the hearts and gizzards and throw them in a ziplock bag in the freezer. After the year, maybe for the Super Bowl or something, I'll just bread them and fry them as an appetizer/snack. Nothing special, but no different than the chicken gizzards you order as an appetizer at a restaurant. This weekend I have Christmas at the in-laws and everybody is supposed to bring their favorite appetizer to share, I (halfway serious) said I'd be bringing fried pheasant gizzards - nobody seemed to happy in the group text about that.... I'll save them for people who will actually enjoy them.

the giblets are treats for my dog

I have always saved hearts. Best piece of meat on the bird, IMO. I have saved gizzards off and on and recently started to save them again. I cook them with the rest of the bird. Sadly, I don't get to eat the hearts very often as my kids have taken a liking to them. The chewy gizzard is all mine!!

Here's a video I did on cleaning a pheasant. Toward the end, you can see the gizzard prep. It is important to take out the sac and do a really good job picking off the fat/membranes and rinsing it well.

Use to eat them as a kid growing up but it’s been several years since the last time I’ve had them. We use to fry with with the rest of the pheasant

Hearts, livers, and the little bit of meat under the wishbone get made into a pâté for snacks of a pheasant liver ragu pasta sauce here. Every once in a while a friend who has a gu gets some for the lizard.

Hearts are great! not big but after a solid weekend of hunting can make for a great appetizer or turned into gravy.

Back