Getting the itch

I am getting the itch. The later season opener is putting me in a bind though, will end up making less trips this year. I was one that enjoyed the earlier date, never had a problem with the heat or some fields not harvested.

Me too Rusty Trigger! I'm starting to lose my ability to focus on work again. It happens every year when the season rolls around.....

Dove season is just around the corner. That usually helps my itch for a couple of weeks. I passed a windmill today and I bet it had 100 doves sitting on the fence and highline. Should be a good year.

I'm seeing lots of dove as well. We'll see if the weather holds out long enough for us to shoot some of the birds we're seeing now.

Speaking of doves, I've heard for new bird dog pups...stay away from the dove hunting. It is a totally different hunt and all...

My bird season opens Sept.5 so I still find it hard to keep this going. But come that day it will be just Quail and Huns. But Tony and I will be after them....Bob

Itchy Pre-Season Trigger Finger = Distractions

I was wondering why I have been unable to focus on the business at hand. All I think about is Opening Weekend. Can't get any work done, but my dog and I are READY. . . all too soon.

For those who want to get out before Nov. 14, there is Nebraska which opens Oct. 31. The Dakotas may open earlier.

Last edited:
Dogs and Doves

Speaking of doves, I've heard for new bird dog pups...stay away from the dove hunting. It is a totally different hunt and all...

I've never taken any of my dogs dove hunting.

Early Season

My bird season opens Sept.5 so I still find it hard to keep this going. But come that day it will be just Quail and Huns. But Tony and I will be after them....Bob

Where would your season be opening on Sep. 5th?

Washington State, Eastern Side, Britchaser, Like I said just the small birds. Pheasants Opens Oct. 17.....Bob

I like to take my Griffon along w/ me when I go dove hunting. I hope it isn't a problem. He went w/ me last year and still had a great pheasant season. I did notice that he was less interested in retreiving pheasants during this past season, but we didn't see any change in the number of points he put up.

Yes, yes it does. I saw that video yesterday and I'm hoping to hear similar news when the upland forecast comes out. I'm very curious as to what happened with the spring crow count this year. Anyone heard why one wasn't conducted?

Yes, yes it does. I saw that video yesterday and I'm hoping to hear similar news when the upland forecast comes out. I'm very curious as to what happened with the spring crow count this year. Anyone heard why one wasn't conducted?

don't know about that. i spoke with the regional biologist and he said the whistle count for quail is up in eastern ks vs last year....thank heavens

Sept. Hunting

Washington State, Eastern Side, Britchaser, Like I said just the small birds. Pheasants Opens Oct. 17.....Bob

That's great. Here in KS Ill shoot a few doves on Sep. 1.

Prairie Drifter said in another thread that the pheasant count was up 3%, but it will very depending on your part of the state. I do most of my hunting in Stanton, Morton and Stevens Counties. Stevens seems to have a lot of chicks, but Morton and Stanton are in extreme drought. People just aren't seeing many chicks.

Back