Getting quail points?

Crossing shot

Dogs are pointing rabbits and pheasants. Quail have been a problem. Will not hold for the point. I assume the lack of moisture is causing scenting problems. Only had a couple quail points this year. The quail flush as soon as the dog stops.

Are your dogs pointing and holding quail?

The few coveys I have found have not held at all. I had one covey on my land in a spot I thought for sure they should have held but flushed quickly. This was before the season here in KS so the dog and I chased some singles around and even they didn't hold all that well. Scenting conditions have been horrible as well.

Had a little rain last night. Birds held today better than they have all season. Garmin said my big runner was stopped 900 yards out. Figured he had a deer carcuss. By time I got there his butt and tail were straight up and he was rested on his elbows with a nice covey holdin tight. Hilarious

Had a little rain last night. Birds held today better than they have all season. Garmin said my big runner was stopped 900 yards out. Figured he had a deer carcuss. By time I got there his butt and tail were straight up and he was rested on his elbows with a nice covey holdin tight. Hilarious

Gotta love that!!!

Had 2 nice points on Saturday. One over a covey of about 12 and the other over a small re-covey of 4-5 birds. Both times the birds held super tight which was great. I am going to attribute that to the cooler weather and frost. Like others I had a terrible time tracking down singles. I think it was due to the lack of any breeze, but who knows.

Its too warm for the birds to hold real good. We went Sunday NW of St. Joe and the birds were there but running like crazy. We watch 2 covies fly into a fence row and they ran 1/8 mile before we cornered them. Did good on the quial but only saw 1 rooster. We need snow and cold.

Zeepo

Hunted north east last sat found three covies
Dogs pointed two I flushed one
Birds went int the woods they pointed a few singles
There was some good moisture on the ground

Back