Getting my first Bird Dog

Siegs

Hey Yall I wanted to ask for some input on what breeds you like. I have only ever hunted around a GSP that was very young and still learning. I am thinking of picking up an American Brittany, Red Fox Lab, German Shorthaired Pointer, or even a Toller Retreiever. Does the toller have a good nose to pick up a trail? If anyone has any input on either of these breeds, let me know what you love about them!

Last edited:
One suggestion I'd give is determine what you're after from the hunting perspective as well as at home perspective. I say that as those breeds are all quite different from each other (pointers and flushers) as well as their temperament.

Like Winchester said, get some hands on experience as well.

You have about every style of hunting dog on your list. I think you need to go find some guys with those dogs to see which peak your interest.

Hey Yall I wanted to ask for some input on what breeds you like. I have only ever hunted around a GSP that was very young and still learning. I am thinking of picking up an American Brittany, Red Fox Lab, German Shorthaired Pointer, or even a Toller Retreiever. Does the toller have a good nose to pick up a trail? If anyone has any input on either of these breeds, let me know what you love about them!
I have a setter I just posted for sale.

If you're thinking at all about labs, don't just limit yourself to a Fox Red Lab (part of the yellow class). It's just a color thing and most breeders that
worry more about color don't worry nearly as much about hunting pedigrees or family values. I say this even though I have been restricted to just yellow labs by my wife.

What's wrong with looking at a Golden?!?! I have a litter due around Feb. 1st. I have 5 or 6 sold so far but I might have one available if we get a good sized litter. If not I have a couple of more litters planned for this year as well.

Seigs ,

I would determine what you are going to primarily hunt ( pheasant grouse waterfowl )

What type of cover ?

I love my Britts I hunt in the east part of the kansas for Quail and central to west part of the state for pheasants and for Quail . We hunt primarily native grass fields , large pastures and creeks and draws .

For this type of hunting a Brittany or a shorthair have given the best results for me and my style of hunting .

I had Lab that lived next to a WPA in Nebraska and he lent his services to our crew , I think he regularly picked up hunts when he saw hunters in the feild near his house . He did a find job of helping us retrieve our birds . The pointing dogs usually made it to the birds first but he flushed a few that double backed .

I like the compact size and energy of the Britts I own .

If I busted cattails day in and day out I would probably have a larger flushing breed or pointing lab .

Let us know what you decide !!!

Back