German Wire Haired Pointing Griffon

mmelton

My English setter is 10 now and I was thinking my next dog would be a Griffon my dad had one and it was a great dog I should have got one too but had to do things my own way so got a setter. My Luke had been a good dog and still is but I just liked the way that griffon worked he was a natural retriever and loved the water too. My setter not so much. I live in Michigan and was hoping I could find a Griffon close to home.

Could anyone lead me to a good breeder

GET ON LINE AND GO SHOPPING. tHERE ARE SEVERAL BREEDERS IN WISCONSIN. TRY GUNDOG BREEDERS.COM. THEY HAVE BY BREED AND BY STATE LISTINGS. I WOULD GO WITH A NAVHDA BREEDER OR THE GRIFFON CLUB BREEDERS.

PS The germanWirehair and the Griffon are two different breeds. Griffon was actually originated in Belgium or Brussels. I always forget which.

PS The germanWirehair and the Griffon are two different breeds. Griffon was actually originated in Belgium or Brussels. I always forget which.

Correct. The German Wirehaired Pointer and the Wirehaired Pointing Griffon are two distinct breeds. Although they often look quite similar. The Wirehaired Pointing Griffon was developed by Dutchman Eduard Korthals in the 1870's.

Buck, Belgium is the country in which Brussels is located! :)

think I found a breeder

yea I know the differance between a wired haired griffon and a german wire hair but for some reason I thought the griffon was german too. I have hunted over both breeds and the the german wire hairs seemed a little faster working but I guess thats depends on how you train your dogs too. My dad had his dog working slow cause he was getting a little old with a bad back and bad knees too. Sometimes I took the dog after school before my dad got off work and my dad would act like he was mad at me cause I beat him to the dog but really he was just happy that I took an intrest in bird hunting as long as I didn't get the dog to tired before the weekend LOL
I looked around on the computer and found a place in Lake Ann MI think it was called Manitou Griffons has anyone done business with these people

Back