Gary Ruppel

walk213

Gary and I have been friends for a few years now. My dog Pride comes from his kennel. He is a brilliant gun dog guy and a better man. Recently, he shared with me a poem from his daughter, Eryn. He told me I could share her thoughts.

So God Made My Dad
And on the eighth day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, I need a Dog Man, somebody with The Gift. So God Made My Dad.
God said, I need somebody willing to get up before dawn, scoop poop, wash kennels, work dogs all day in the fields, scoop poop, feed dogs, scoop poop, then sit with his daughter at the kennel and try and solve all the world's problems. So God Made My Dad.

God said, I need somebody willing to sit up all night with newborn puppies and their mother, just to watch their little chests rise and fall. I need somebody who can tell from just a shake of a dog's head how bad an ear infection is, someone who can put up kennel shade in the summer all by himself, and who can shovel five foot snow drifts and break frozen water buckets in the winter. I need somebody who will work a 12 hour day, on only 4 hours of sleep, and then take his daughter fishing just to see her smile. So God Made My Dad.

God said, I need somebody strong enough to be a great leader of the pack, yet gentle enough to love every dog he meets, who will let the dogs be dogs and express themselves, exactly the way I intended all along. So God Made My Dad.

It had to be somebody who'd learn to think like a dog, and then go out in the field with them and not cut corners. Somebody that never wants any dog not to like him, but also somebody who is wise enough to know that every dog needs structure in their lives to be successful in the pack. Somebody who'd appreciate and understand all the simple and beautiful things I created in Mother Nature.
Somebody who'd love his family unconditionally no matter what life brought their way. Somebody who'd raise his daughter just the way he would a puppy, creating a strong everlasting bond that is based on love, trust, loyalty, respect and admiration for each other. Somebody who'd let his daughter go out into the world and make her own mistakes, never trying to stop or control her, but always being right there to listen and help mend her heart. Not knowing that someday all the support and love he has given her over the years would lead her right back home, wanting to spend her life doing what Dad does. So God Made My Dad.

Happy Father's Day Dad
June 16th, 2013

Last edited:
Thank you so much for sharing that....that is awesome!!! :thumbsup::10sign:

I have two daughters and that made my eyes getting a little watery :eek:

Dog spelled backwards is God!!!

Greg

Hi Greg,

Gary read it to me. Sort of choked me up as well. I have two young boys. I told Gary that I hope I get a letter like that in my lifetime.

Walk213,
Thanks for that, I had the pleasure of meeting Gary a few years back and he worked with my dogs some, all I can say is Gary is a special guy and I have all the admiration of him as a man and a trainer. If you see or talk to him tell him Jim Gibson says hey. Thanks

Where is he located? Because i got my English pointer from i guy named Gary somewhere near Kiowa, but i don't remember his last name.

Where is he located? Because i got my English pointer from i guy named Gary somewhere near Kiowa, but i don't remember his last name.

That would most likely be him!!! He is just off the Kiowa creek bottom!

That would most likely be him!!! He is just off the Kiowa creek bottom!

Yeah, i'm sure it is. That's great. I think i'll try to go back there, i'd like to tell him how my dog's doing. The story of how i got her from him is actually really cool. After my first hunting season, and my dad's first in quite a long time, we decided we needed a dog. So we looked online for a dog, and eventually we saw on craigslist that a dog trainer, Gary, was giving away a partially trained English pointer for free to a good home! The reason she was free was that he didn't want to make someone pay a couple thousand dollars for a dog with a broken tail. We were lucky enough to be the first ones to make it to his place and we picked her up. Another cool thing was that i had already planned that if i got a young, unnamed pup, i would name her Cait. That was her name when i got her. Yep. I'm gonna have to go see Gary sometime.
And, to be totally honest, she was better in her second season than i've ever seen a hunting dog in real life. she is an amazing hunter.

Last edited:
Yeah, i'm sure it is. That's great. I think i'll try to go back there, i'd like to tell him how my dog's doing. The story of how i got her from him is actually really cool. After my first hunting season, and my dad's first in quite a long time, we decided we needed a dog. So we looked online for a dog, and eventually we saw on craigslist that a dog trainer, Gary, was giving away a partially trained English pointer for free to a good home! The reason she was free was that he didn't want to make someone pay a couple thousand dollars for a dog with a broken tail. We were lucky enough to be the first ones to make it to his place and we picked her up. Another cool thing was that i had already planned that if i got a young, unnamed pup, i would name her Cait. That was her name when i got her. Yep. I'm gonna have to go see Gary sometime.
And, to be totally honest, she was better in her second season than i've ever seen a hunting dog in real life. she is an amazing hunter.

Come to think of it , I remember that dog! He asked me if I wanted it and of course I had to turn him down because I already had 3 !!! I am glad she found a good home!!!! My buddy is coming down in Sept. to bring Gary his Lab for a month.:cheers:

Nice to see many people appreciate Gary.

I hope to see him soon, Jim. Will pass him your best.

Here is Gary working with Chief.:thumbsup:
IMG_5339_zps05a955c8.jpg
IMG_5341_zpsc7a7673b.jpg

Yes, he is a character!!! He is the Dog Whisperer !!!!!

Back