Garmin Astro --Should I get one?

waggs

Been shying away from them because I have read way to many posts on problems with them but now they have a new model out with the DC40. They claim they have solved some problems but I'm still leery.

So lets here it, The good, the bad and the ugly.

I've been using the Garmin since it came out- still using the first DC20- never have had any problems- mine run pretty big in open country- sometimes all 4down- sometimes they are all over the place- sometimes they are all over the place on point- peace of mind knowing what they are doing and where they are

as in anything- you hardly hear about the good- you hear about all the problems- one has to wonder if the complainers do to much fiddling arround with it

tell us first- how and where you hunt, how far your dog gets out there
why you think you might need one-

I just bought a DC40 last November its been working great for me so far, but I have heard of issues other people are having with their units. I have a Dogtra 3500 training receiver mounted on the same collar as the Astro and there seams to be no compatibly issues between the two units. I have read that Sport dog is coming out with a unit that combines a GPS with a shock collar maybe worth waiting to see how it works out.

I have had a ROAMEO for the past few years. It has been real good for me. They are somewhat cheaper than a Garmin.........Bob

I had problems finding my dog on point in the chest high grass at the beginning of the season, so I purchased one, and a extra collar. I had problems with both collars on, when I turned them both on one would disconnect, after talking to Garmin (which was a very pleasant experience), they told me to either send it in and wait about 20 days, or take it back to the store and get a new one, so I took it back, and everything works just fine. Other than that I had no problem finding my dogs and keeping track of them. The one thing that really made me glad I purchased it was I was walking a 80 acre CRP field with both dogs out, one got out to about a 100 yards so I called it to come look for me, well right next to the field I was hunting a was a guy on a atv doing soil samples, with a hunter orange hat on, so I guess my dog saw him and followed him to the other end of the next quarter of land. Well the nice thing was I had her pin pointed, and I went ahead finished out the rest of the crp to get back to the truck, and then went a 1/2 mile to go get her. I liked I knew where she was and that I could find her, if I did not have the collar she might of been lost. So purchasing the collar has taken a lot of stress off me wondering where my dogs are. I know many will say a good trained dog will stay close, and I know where my dogs are, both my dogs are first year dogs, and I only hunt really thick tall crp, so it was a no brainer for me. My idea of hunting is let the dog find and hold the bird, so I do let mine get way out, but I know they will hold till the bird flushes or I flush the bird, so both my dogs are allowed to hunt any direction they want, and not always necessarily in front of me, I hunt a lot alone, and usually have one dog to the left and one to the right. If I had to buy the Garmin again, I would do it in a heartbeat!

Rod

well said hotrod- I usually hunt 2 together- enjoyed three- 4 was a blast- course I had 3 Garmin DC20's- the others found the one without-

liked the Garmin in the mountains- clicked start new hunt at the base camp- then set the DC20 on the elk- headed to camp- then just headed out to where the DC20 was to get the elk- never found it wasn't good in any type country

outstanding dog comunication- plus great for anywhere- nice compass- nice way points- range- mine said last known place of the other collar was 584 miles east- because it was in my hunting room last time I had it on

Alright, I'm thinking I'll get one.

BUT-- One more question Before I dump a grand into a 2 dog set up with all the goodies. :mad:

Whats the differance between the dc-30 and the dc-40. I can save a few bucks on the 30.

For the most part it is just the makeup of the collar the dc 30 is a fabric collar with a weight on it, a buddy of mine has one and hates that it is fraying (I believe he has had it a couple of years), the dc 40 doesn't have the added weight and is made of plastic like a shock collar, so you can replace the collar if it gets chewed up or breaks.

Rod

I purchased a DC40 last year to help keep track of and locate dog in that
chest high CRP. Works great, no issues at all. Now after using it a season I
wouldn't want to be without it. Where's dog? Garmin says he's 70 yards over there on point. Bust butt over, locate dog, flush and miss bird, go find another one.

For the most part it is just the makeup of the collar the dc 30 is a fabric collar with a weight on it, a buddy of mine has one and hates that it is fraying (I believe he has had it a couple of years), the dc 40 doesn't have the added weight and is made of plastic like a shock collar, so you can replace the collar if it gets chewed up or breaks.

Rod

I,m getting the dc-40.

Thanks for responding everyone and helping me make a decision.:cheers:

I bought an Astro for use on my two GSP's and Welsh right before Christmas. I was hunting a CRP field that was chest high and the wind was blowing about 30mph+. I used my TT beeper as a locator and "lost" one of my GSP's and the Welsh in the tall grass. We were right beside a busy highway and I will admit my imagination ran away from me thinking I would find two dead dogs lying in the middle of the pavement. It took almost a half hour to find them in that grass. I used my whistle and turned the GSP's locator on but I don't think they could hear me and I couldn't hear the GSP's beeper. I didn't have a locator on the Welsh.
Needless to say I was scared and bought the Astro DC-40 when I got home.
Other than the fact that it cost $1000 for the three dogs I like it. I haven't had all the problems some of the others have had, mine has worked flawlessly. I like the fact I can tell how far they have ran that day and how far and how long I have hunted. I haven't used the advanced features like plotting onto a computer map yet, maybe in the future. I don't walk around looking at the screen unless one of them goes on point and I can't see them.
The most important feature is the peace of mind that I can find my dogs in heavy cover!!:10sign:

Back