Garmin Alpha

murphya

In a previous post I commented on recently acquiring a new Alpha tracking collar and due to a physical condition I had not used it other than in the back yard. Still have not used it in a hunting situation but have reviewed it for field use.

The battery is designed to be recharged and to fit in the compartment in a snug fashion. This is great for use but causes it to be difficult to remove. Garmin stipulates not to use sharp objects for fear of piercing the case. I have found a method to remove it safely. Wrap flat ribbon around the battery leaving enough to grasp both ends. One just needs to lift up the ribbon when removing the battery. It is necessary to use thin ribbon and fold the loose ends carefully to allow the cover to close.

I am aware the battery can be charged in the unit but I feel it would be wise to have a spare.

I am not following you.

You don't have to take anything apart to recharge the units.
The rubber part on the bottom back of the handheld unit is swings forward and you plug the USB style plug into the back.

Alpha use

I understand the Alpha battery is usually charged while in the handheld unit but I feel having a spare battery is a good idea. Should a fresh unit be needed in the field a spare could be easily inserted. Removing the battery from the unit requires it to be lifted or pried up. The ribbon slid under it makes it easy to lift it out without the use of a screwdriver or knife. The battery that was just removed can be charged independently with another charger that Garmin has available. It comes with several types of plug-ins that allow for charging from various sources.

Wandering at home put my mind on thoughts I would not have followed had I been able to get out in the field. Hence the ribbon idea came to be. I was able to become comfortable with the various aspects of its control and compare them to using the Astro.

OK,

I don't think that I want to be taking the unit apart very often.
If I am hunting long enough during the day that the battery is in danger of running out, I will charge it in the truck while we are taking a break or driving to a new area.

I have hunted all nearly all day, and still had about 50% charge.

You will really like the Alpha in the field. Its a great tool.

Back