Garmin 550 Plus and Mini collar

LC Smith

I finally received my new ecollar and so far so good. I was shocked that you have to take it outside to get a GPS signal before being able to use it indoors. It seems to be comfortable on the dog.

I've been satisfied with my purchase of the same unit. It's my first collar on a my first bird dog so the remote's ease of use has been important to me.

Where did you guys purchase and how much did you have to pay? I've had SportDog collars for my labs for years but I recently got a GSP and I'm debating buy a new system. It seems like the 1825's I bought last a couple years before batteries get tired and replacement batteries never seem to work the same as new in the box.

Can anyone comment on how they are compared to a SportDog? I'm intrigued by the GPS feature for the pointing dog and the remote being able to say when the dogs on point.

I bought mine off Ebay. got lucky that a guy had a two collar system he had bought and was never used. If I recall it was $650 for the whole thing. I know it was cheaper than anything else I could find online at the time.

I moved away from the SD 1850 Uplander to Garmin Pro 550 Plus this year. I don't know how I've lived without it. Simple to use and peace of mind knowing where my dog is in the thick CRP is awesome. Highly recommend!!!

I ended up ordering one w/ 2 collars last night.

Having used sportdog in the past and attaching the remote in an upright position on my vest - how are you attaching this remote to your vest? It looks a decent bit larger w/ no clip on the back.

Having used sportdog in the past and attaching the remote in an upright position on my vest - how are you attaching this remote to your vest? It looks a decent bit larger w/ no clip on the back.
I bought a leather holster for it and I use that to attach it to my belt. Could also be used to attach it to a vest.

I went with the leather holster as well. At first I was a little leery of the the button snap being the only thing holding it to my d-ring or belt, but so far so good. I may affix some type of lanyard as backup.

I went with the leather holster as well. At first I was a little leery of the the button snap being the only thing holding it to my d-ring or belt, but so far so good. I may affix some type of lanyard as backup.
There is a spot you could attach it. Probably not a bad idea.

My Filson vest has two spots specially designed to hold these tube type controllers. It’s a perfect fit for the unit.

look into their watches. I put my controller in my pocket and glance down at the watch to see their location. Not the most convenient place to keep the controller but secure as I typically don’t need it for corrections.

look into their watches. I put my controller in my pocket and glance down at the watch to see their location. Not the most convenient place to keep the controller but secure as I typically don’t need it for corrections.
I use the Garmin Instinct and love it.

Could you expand on this watch aspect a bit? I just bought a Alpha 200i and I see where it will Bluetooth to a smartphone. It will Bluetooth to a Garmin watch as well? What do you see on the watch? Just a direction/distance? Thanks.

I’m not sure the watches would be as beneficial with a 200i as it is with the 550 plus as I’m assuming you purchased the 200i for its cool detailed mapping features. The 550 plus display isn’t as detailed and basically shows the same things as the Garmin watches.

What makes me enjoy the watch in conjunction to the 550 plus is that I wear the watch on the hand that’s holding my guns forearm. When I’m busting through the cattails with the dogs, with a quick twist of my wrist see direction and distance of up to three dogs without stopping, taking my hand off the forearm and reaching for the controller to see where they are. Seems like before I got the watch every smart rooster would wait to flush when I’m stopped, hand off the gun and looking down at the controller!

I’m not sure the watches would be as beneficial with a 200i as it is with the 550 plus as I’m assuming you purchased the 200i for its cool detailed mapping features. The 550 plus display isn’t as detailed and basically shows the same things as the Garmin watches.

What makes me enjoy the watch in conjunction to the 550 plus is that I wear the watch on the hand that’s holding my guns forearm. When I’m busting through the cattails with the dogs, with a quick twist of my wrist see direction and distance of up to three dogs without stopping, taking my hand off the forearm and reaching for the controller to see where they are. Seems like before I got the watch every smart rooster would wait to flush when I’m stopped, hand off the gun and looking down at the controller!
Interesting. Do they have some pictures of what this looks like on the watch? I'd be able to see 2 dogs directions at the same time?

I'm having trouble with my month old collar. seems like it takes a long time to sync transmitter to collar to start the hunt. I lay both on top of the truck. What is normal? Seems like every hunt the transmitter loses sync to the collar, sometimes more than once, hunting in open field crp some brush. when it does, all training functions are lost until you get the dog back to your side and hold still while you attempt a re-sync. is anybody else having these issues, or is it just my large arthritic fingers? The instructions are poor, and i did get help from garmin, but did not get good answers for these sync problems.

I'm having trouble with my month old collar. seems like it takes a long time to sync transmitter to collar to start the hunt. I lay both on top of the truck. What is normal? Seems like every hunt the transmitter loses sync to the collar, sometimes more than once, hunting in open field crp some brush. when it does, all training functions are lost until you get the dog back to your side and hold still while you attempt a re-sync. is anybody else having these issues, or is it just my large arthritic fingers? The instructions are poor, and i did get help from garmin, but did not get good answers for these sync problems.
Sounds like you may have a faulty device. I'd try to get a replacement.

Back